Who's using a 16:1 manual steering box?

-

vntned

Reaction score
The box in my '64 dart is wore slap out, and I'm planning on a new box very soon. It currently has a 20:1 box, but I'd like the steering to be a little bit quicker. I've replaced 100% of the suspension and steering except the box. The suspension setup is performance oriented with polybushings, custom rear leafs, big Tbars and Hellwig swaybars. So i do like to drive it through the corners. So is a 16:1 manual box to much for a regularly driven street car?

Btw, I'm a 220lb, 6ft tall, 30yr old man. The current 20:1 box doesn't feel to heavy for me, so keep that in mind.

I've heard it's a dream come true. Same ratio as power steering, and plenty of feedback.

My old Barracuda has it. I drove it for years with a 16:1 manual box. You won't mind it.

I run a 16:1 flaming river manual box in my Duster. I also run 275/35/18 front tires and about +3* of caster. It has 1.12" torsion bars, Helwig sway bars, Hotchkis Fox shocks, and a significant amount of chassis reinforcement, so it's built to handle. It also has a reproduction Tuff wheel on it, so not the biggest steering wheel either. Turning those big meats up front gets a little entertaining once the speeds drop below about 5 mph, but it's really not that big of a deal. My Duster is pretty much my daily driver at this point, so it sees plenty of parking at the grocery store, around town, etc.

And I'm like 5'8" and 155 lbs. I am a firefighter by trade so I'm in pretty decent physical shape, but I've been in the business awhile too so I also have had more than a few shoulder injuries etc. Anyway, if I don't have any big issues with a 16:1 manual box I doubt you will. :thumbup:

I run one in a 66 Formula S 4 speed. Hard to turn if stopped but not bad when moving, great in the curves. Rebuilt OEM by Firm Feel. I'm 60, 175 lb.

What would the stock ratio of a 71 Duster be,318 auto> Thanks

What would the stock ratio of a 71 Duster be,318 auto> Thanks

24:1 for standard factory manual steering.

Quick ratio factory boxes were available for awhile, those were 16:1. But those weren't offered as an option for '71 A-bodies.

24:1 works out to 5.3 turns lock to lock (per the factory manual)
20:1 is 4.5 turns lock to lock (mopar performance made replacement 20:1 gears for awhile)
16:1 is 3.5 turns lock to lock

Mine is a stock 24:1 but worn out.

I don't parallel park, ever, and when I back up or do a 3 point turn I always steer the opposite direction at the end so I don't have to crank the wheel and snap it off at the spokes.
Plus it's a 4 speed, which helps as I can rock it back and forth in gear.

Will this strategy work the same/be as effective with the 16:1?

It's a 383 with aluminum heads, does weight play a significant role with the 16:1 while driving/moving?

If the negative is the same as I'm experiencing with the 24:1 then it's a no brainer.

I have a tight factory 16:1 in my 68 small block with 215-60x15 front tires. It's great when I'm driving but it's pretty hard when parking. Like pulling in at a car cruise and backing into a space. People obviously can tell when watching. Ugh! I don't think it would be good on a tight autocross course.

On the other extreme is the 24:1 in my 64 /6 Valiant with 185-70x14 front tires. No effort at all but it is too slow!

I'd be surprised if you have 20:1 manual in your 64 Dart. Not available in that year. Direct Connection offered a 20:1 worm and gear over the counter but it had to be swapped in. Something tells me it was in the standard Chrysler parts catalog and they just repackaged it as a high performance part with a "P" prefix. I read somewhere that the NASCAR racers requested it.

Having said all that, I think you should make the switch especially in a lightweight early Dart.

Last edited:
I run the PST 16:1 box in my 65 Valiant. It’s more of a straight line car and has skinnies but aside from turning at a dead stop it’s not too difficult and it gets driven on the street plenty.

Still running the 16:1 in my Duster. Still running 275/35/18’s up front, but I’m up to +6.5*’s on the caster. Still my daily driver, sees plenty of grocery store parking lots. Parallel parking isn’t my favorite thing, but it’s not impossible. 5+ years as my daily driver since I last posted in this thread and I haven’t ditched the manual 16:1 yet.

I'll be ordering one tomorrow from PST with the fabo discount, I had called them today to confirm it.
The 24:1 is more $ for some reason.

The 24:1 is more $ for some reason.

because nobody wants them . the 20 to 1 is about perfect still fairly easy to turn and plenty fast . i'm not sure why they are not more common probably because of cost .

because nobody wants them . the 20 to 1 is about perfect still fairly easy to turn and plenty fast . i'm not sure why they are not more common probably because of cost .

Now if someone would make a smaller manual box for an A body , I`d be all over it .
Would probly sell quite a few in time , lotsa big block cars !!

-
Back