Why are AN bolts so expensive?

-

Cuda416

Reaction score
As the title says, just from looking at the specs, and AN10 (5/8) bolts, they aren't as hard as G8 and are closer to G5 by design. They apparently will bend more which make sense since they aren't as hard which would better for high fatigue applications (aircraft etc), but holy cow.

A 2.5 inch AN10 bolt is $25.... what the actual f....?

for the application I need them for (chassis jig) I'll probably just use cut down 4" G5 bolts.

Military Specs. Theoretically tighter MFG, inspection, and possible certification. It all adds up.

Well that's fair. I mean hell, $600 for a hammer, right? lol..

Man o man...

I used to have to inspect some of that stuff. The inspection tests were ridiculous. $600 was cheap.
CTQ's, inspections, and obscure certifications add a tremendous amount of cost to any product/part. At work I have to be very vigilant on drawing reviews because the mechanical engineers put in the absolute minimum of CTQ's in order to keep the part price down. It can get to where function or manufactureability can suffer. Every CTQ drives an inspection or activity in the Control Plan, and the vendor is going to make you pay for it.

CTQ's, inspections, and obscure certifications add a tremendous amount of cost to any product/part. At work I have to be very vigilant on drawing reviews because the mechanical engineers put in the absolute minimum of CTQ's in order to keep the part price down. It can get to where function or manufactureability can suffer. Every CTQ drives an inspection or activity in the Control Plan, and the vendor is going to make you pay for it.
I used to be a machine operator and honest to goodness I read the following on the bottom of a blueprint once

"Revision A: print changed to match parts in stock"

All of this puts things into perspective and makes sense. As I was reading about them, I was skimming home built aircraft forums and the general consensus was a failure will result in somethin that puts your life at risk, then use an AN bolt, otherwise, grade 5 or 8 depending on the shear or tensile requirements.

Interesting stuff.

I used to be a machine operator and honest to goodness I read the following on the bottom of a blueprint once

It is a regular occurrence around here were we are requested to change print tolerances/dimensions to match the PPAP (production part approval process) results from the vendor. Essentially, they made an initial batch of new parts, measured them, and now want us to change the requirement to match what they made. And it pisses me off that we agree to do it nine times out of ten so that we can just turn the spigot on sooner and make the schedule.

not just blueprints. when my brother was active duty on carriers, every part than went on a plane had to have all the paper work and certs correct unless they were in a combat area flying missions, then it was "whatever gets it in the air". :rolleyes:

-
Back