Why are the 11.75 Brake Better?

-
But the more leverage in this case is .75 of an inch. That doesnt seem like alot to make a significant diff.

Just asking cause I'm kinda reconsidering spending the money for these larger brakes. They are also heavier than the stock 11in a body rotors.
You would be surprised.

the cobra upgrade is nice because of the weight and the room to grow, but from a perspective of good performance on a smaller budget the drilled slotted 11.75 rotors with aggressive pads, the ss lines and bigger piston calipers is a hard to beat combo. if you're rolling on 15's that's the play to make so you don't wind up shelling out for bigger rims to fit the cobra kit.

Last edited:
Are those for pin-type or slider-type calipers? The second image with the diagram looks like it's for pin-type...

I checked the set I have and they are the pin type. Is that what you were looking for? They made pads for sliding calipers also. I really hate the "we'll throw a generic picture in and add a disclaimer" nonsense. Why bother, just pull the part and take a picture of the part you want to sell.

I checked the set I have and they are the pin type. Is that what you were looking for? They made pads for sliding calipers also. I really hate the "we'll throw a generic picture in and add a disclaimer" nonsense. Why bother, just pull the part and take a picture of the part you want to sell.

The Dr. Diff kit comes with slider-type calipers, that's also the type on my car currently. It's weird Hawk sells the pin-type ones it since it seems that type is less common on the popular A/B/E-body Mopar muscle cars.

The Dr. Diff kit comes with slider-type calipers, that's also the type on my car currently. It's weird Hawk sells the pin-type ones it since it seems that type is less common on the popular A/B/E-body Mopar muscle cars.
Actually the E-bodies were pin type, certainly most of them anyway. Lot of the B-bodies as well. My ‘72 Challenger and my ‘71 Satellite were both pin type calipers. And later it was either the M’s or the R’s too, I know I pulled pin type calipers off a couple of the later cars in the wrecking yards.

I looked and Hawk does not appear to have pads for sliding calipers, but EBC does in at least 3 compositions.

Actually the E-bodies were pin type, certainly most of them anyway. Lot of the B-bodies as well. My ‘72 Challenger and my ‘71 Satellite were both pin type calipers. And later it was either the M’s or the R’s too, I know I pulled pin type calipers off a couple of the later cars in the wrecking yards.
Ohh, guess that's why I haven't seen them then, I haven't messed with B and E bodies much, just A's and C's lol

Great time to stumble on this old thread. Was wondering just which cars used the larger rotors and brackets. I get that the 78 fury, cordoba etc. used them so at least I have a direction to go. I'm converting manual drums from scratch on my 72 and did get the later model UCA's. Anybody have an opinion on which is better, sliders or pins and were the big brakes available in both styles?

Great time to stumble on this old thread. Was wondering just which cars used the larger rotors and brackets. I get that the 78 fury, cordoba etc. used them so at least I have a direction to go. I'm converting manual drums from scratch on my 72 and did get the later model UCA's. Anybody have an opinion on which is better, sliders or pins and were the big brakes available in both styles?
For your first question, here's a list of cars that had the 11.75" rotors. It's just a list from a parts store, so, it may not be all inclusive or 100% accurate. Most were also available with the smaller brakes also so just finding one of these cars doesn't guarantee they had the large brakes either

CHRYSLER CORDOBA (1976 - 1979)
CHRYSLER NEW YORKER (1979 - 1981)
CHRYSLER NEWPORT (1979 - 1981)
DODGE CHARGER (1976 - 1978 )
DODGE CORONET (1975 - 1976)
DODGE MAGNUM 1979
DODGE MONACO (1977 - 1978 )
DODGE ST. REGIS (1979 - 1981)
PLYMOUTH FURY (1976 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SALON (1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SPORT (1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SPORT SUBURBAN (1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH FURY SUBURBAN (1977 - 1978 )
PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY (1980 - 1981)
PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY SALON 1980

Your best bet is DoctorDiff, he sells the 11.75" caliper brackets (slider type) and rotors. So, no need to get anything from the junkyard, you can get it all from DoctorDiff.

For the second question, yes, the 11.75 caliper brackets are available in both pin and slider styles, I have the pin style 11.75" brackets and calipers on my Challenger. Only the slider style is reproduced though, so, if you want the pin style you'll have to find a used set. And they usually cost a bit more than the slider style. As for which is better, I dunno. The pin style has the advantage of being able to change the pins, so, if things get worn you buy a new set of pins and off you go. The slider style depends on the surface of the caliper bracket being good, and if it gets rusty or chewed up you have to either dress it or buy a new set of brackets to keep things moving smoothly. So on that part I would say the pin style has an advantage. But, some say the pins flex more, which is possible. So you might lose some efficiency, I really don't know on that one. Probably splitting hairs. What I do know is that brake pads for the slider style calipers are easier to find and more plentiful, with more pad compound options too.

I won't buy a set of slider calipers just to convert my Challenger, but I also wouldn't seek out a set of pin style brackets and pay more money for them either.

-
Back