Why did I put Power steering in my BB A-body

-

Hemikiller

Reaction score
That is the question? My Steering gear starting leaking like a sive, fluid everywhere all over my headers people rolling down their windows saying nice car but its smoking!!!! I have spent all weekend changing out that gear. Should have went Manual. Anyone who is considering it you will regret it when it leaks!!
Next time I go manual, or they have a lot of cool rack and pinion stuff out there now!!

That sucks, lots of pressure there! I dont have PS, but I do know more connections and more hoses = more leaks..Do they just have to be tightened? I wish you the best!! :-|

Or maybe headers to close and cooked out the seals in the box? Consider header wrap. Sucks to have a leaking vehicle. I finaly fixed all the leaks I had in all of my vehicles in the last month or so. Replaced the engine in my jeep due to it marking it's territory with more vengence than a Harley.

There are two places it can leak on top that will get to the headers: either the return line or the top cover, both are a fairly easy fix. There's an o-ring that seals the the return line flange and the top cover can be sealed with a new o-ring and RTV. It's kinda tricky getting the top cover off while it is in the car. The best way I've found is to remove the pump to give you room to work, then use a large punch and heavy hammer to turn it out. Replace the large diameter, thin o-ring under it. Smear a liberal amount of RTV on top of it before running the cover back down and let it sit for 24 hours befor topping it up and restarting. I had a hard time findiing the correct size o-ring for mine.

where is it leaking from? i had luck ONCE in my 70 duster when i did its steering box, pump and both hoses and it never leaked! i wish you luck on stopping your leak.

It was leaking from the top seal where the shaft hooks to the coupler. I just yanked out the whole unit and put in a new one. What a pain in the rear. But while I was at it i tidied up the engine bay and under side of the car. Cruze ins are coming! Thanks for the input I think I might wrap that header it is severly close to the box and heat is probably caused the seal to leak.

-
Back