Why do the taillights stay on?

-

1974DartSport

Reaction score
My 74 Dart Sport sat in a barn from July 1990 until June 2005. My son and I have spent over two years restoring it. We are close to firing the engine for the first time since 1990. I just changed all the taillight and interior bulbs. The battery just went in. The battery is properly grounded. I tested and changed the under dash fuses that did not work. Last night I hooked up the positive battery terminal and the two taillights (outer two lights) came on and stayed on. The light switch on the dash is not on. Why did the taillights come on and stay on?

I'm pretty sure my taillight wiring assembly is properly grounded in the trunk, however the ground near the trunk latch is properly connected there, but it has fresh paint. Should I scuff up the ground area to ensure a better ground?

The alternator is not hooked up nor are the front headlights installed. All front and rear side marker lights properly come on when I turn on the headlight switch on the dash. If I turn the ignition key on (without starting the car) and put the car in reverse the backup lamps light up properly. Did I reconnect something incorrectly? The only way that I can get the taillight lamps to go out is disconnect the positive battery terminal.

You didn't mention anywhere if you checked the actual switch under the dash? After doing work on My brakes the momentary contact switch had to be re-positioned ,There's a slot in the mounting bracket that allows you to
adjust it for proper on/off operation . That's the first thing I'd check sounds like everthing else is correct.

Are you sure it's the tail (running) lights that are on, and not the brake lights? If you haven't already, verify that it isn't the brake lights. If it IS the brake lights and not tail lights, check the brake light switch for proper adjustment.
If it IS the tail lights, I would look at the headlight switch being bad internally.
I don't think you have a ground problem because a loose or bad ground would prevent the lights from coming on in the first place.

George

Are you sure it's the tail (running) lights that are on, and not the brake lights? If you haven't already, verify that it isn't the brake lights. If it IS the brake lights and not tail lights, check the brake light switch for proper adjustment.

George

Thanks George, it was the brake light switch. It was not contacting the brake pedal. After adjusting it, the two outer lights (brake lights) went out.

After fixing the brake lights, I pulled the headlight switch on. Only one of the rear taillights came on, so I pulled the bulb and found that #1157 bulbs have two filaments, and one of them (the taillight filament) was broken. I replaced it, and now both sides are working.

Also had to replace #1156 bulbs (backup lights), but I did that before I posted my original question.

yup, agree on the sticking brake light button under the pedal, a lil wd-40will cure it but use it sparingly as it is flammable heh

-
Back