Why doesn't my billet front drum fit?

-

port-holio

Reaction score
So I bought the hot-****, half-a-mortgage-payment, billet front drum from TCS. http://www.tcsproducts.com/products/product/tf727-steel-front-drum-aluminum-piston/

Now my transmission won't go back together cause the pump body is bottoming out on the drum, even without any thrust washers at all. It goes together fine with the old cast iron drum, but that sort of defeats the whole purpose.

I feel like maybe the product page shouldn't categorically recommend it "for street & strip" if it doesn't even fit in the goddam thing. There's not even an asterisk with "this doesn't fit yours" info.

Just wondering what multi-hundred-dollar machinist work of art I have to buy now to make it work?

C

Does it have a wider band surface? Wonder if the portion is wider that is closest to the pump body like the old Hemi drums were requiring some clearancing on the pump breather area?

If it's the same width as the original drum I'd inspect the back side where it mates up to the rear drum. 727's used 3 or 4 different designs of the rear drum and they don't always mate up to the front drum correctly. If I'm not mistaken most of the aftermarket parts are designed in mind for the early 70's 727's. If the rear drum is a late 70's unit, or even a 60's unit there may be a compatibility issue.

Thanks folks. I talked to Paul from TCS, and got the low down. There are two widths of front drums and their associated bushings. All billet drums made are 72+ late type, because that's what essentially everyone is using or have upgraded to.

I just need to find a 72+ stator tube (what bolts up to the back of the pump. TCS doesn't sell em, but Paul gave me a local contact in WA.

I'm bummed for the delay and more $$$, but I really appreciated them calling me back the next business day with an answer. That was top notch.

I'm just in a bad mood because it's been 4 years since my car drove because of the Kiesler nightmare I tried to spend my way out of. I'm going back to a 500hp-proof 727. The build was going great, and all the clearances were ideal until this. We're having a streak of awesome weather right now, and I don't have a job, so I want to at least go for a ride and do a burnout!

I thought about mentioning the pre 70 drum uses a 1/2" wide bushing and aftermarket drums are all made for the 1" wide 70 and newer pump stators but inadvertently left it out of my post

-
Back