Why is it that there are no roots type blowers for early 340's?

-
kool thanks for posting,,,dyers is the orignal guy behind the street super charger movement,, last time i was at dyers he was cncing rod for the roundy round world,,and not making any blower intakes or parts,, he told me the blower thing was dead,,,,guess he woke up,,,nice guys to deal with my blower and intake are early dyers stuff,,,and hard to find also try BIG ALS TOY BOX hes a great guy to deal with also

refreshing the cuda july 2008 064.jpg

refreshing the cuda july 2008 052.jpg

BDS sells the whole setup, I bought mine about 5-6 years ago.

Nobody makes an actual blower intake though. The ones you can get are just single 4bbl intakes that had the middle cut out and an aluminum trough (looks like a mud pan for drywall work) welded to it and a blower plate welded to the top of that. The final product looks good but I think the blower sits a little too high so I'm going to take an old Wiend tunnel ram and cut the runners off where they are only a couple inches high and build my own blower intake.

P1070008.jpg

Photo1362.jpg

Photo1318.jpg

Photo1317.jpg

blown fish, the reason the newer style intakes are higher is because of the thermostat housing clearance problems,,,i would assume,,

i took and modified a chevy t stat housing to work,,other wise you can not run a t stat with the older dyer style intakes built on a 4 bbl intake,,

ide think the tunnel ram intakje your talkig about would be just as high,,i had looked at that option my self,,altho i never had one in hand to measure,,,

blown fish, the reason the newer style intakes are higher is because of the thermostat housing clearance problems,,,i would assume,,

i took and modified a chevy t stat housing to work,,other wise you can not run a t stat with the older dyer style intakes built on a 4 bbl intake,,

ide think the tunnel ram intakje your talkig about would be just as high,,i had looked at that option my self,,altho i never had one in hand to measure,,,

I also used a sbc thermostat housing to clear the belt better. The intake they make for the 273 is almost 2" lower and looks just right. (they sent me one by mistake) The 340-360 intake has the blower plate about 2-3" above the original carb base

I have a Wiend tunnel ram that I ran on my Dart and it is just the 8 individual runners and a finned valley pan, unlike the Edlebrock tunnel rams which are pretty bulky so I believe I can make the Wiend intake work, or at least get it a little lower and have a better looking intake than what I have now, that's really more important than the height issue, I wouldn't mind it being as high as it is but in my eyes the intake is hideous looking. The Wiend will also be an air gap design which won't hurt either. I still need to do some measuring and get a blower plate to mock it up before I can say for sure if it will work though, and I'm involved in building my Dart now so it will be a while.

Here is my set up, getting ready to put this in to service. May have a few questions for you guys.

1626.jpg

a719.jpg

bd07.jpg

Here is my set up, getting ready to put this in to service. May have a few questions for you guys.

That's not a bad looking intake, still pretty high. What heads will it fit? Looks like it's for W2's

Yes it does look pretty high and your right W2s heads. I have a stroked 340 X block for a bottom end. Just need some carbs and assembly.

Just need some carbs and assembly.

Go with a pair of Demon blower carbs, the best money I ever spent. They aren't kidding when they say you can take them out of the box and go, the only thing I had to do was adjust the idle mixture screws and set the idle.

i feel its alitle odd that noone makes these manifolds(i mean some that are real blower manifolds and not some reconstructed normal ones) as i realy feel there is a demand for them,maybe not a real big one but there is people looking for them even over here..

im going next week to a shop for an estimate of building me a blower manifold with one primarytarget and that is to keep it low.. but im in a way diferent situation since i am trying to make make a lysholm twinscrew fit my smallblock,and that requires a way diferent manifold:(

awesome looking manifold...i really really want a blown engine...and not the kind where the pistons come out of the side of the block...lol

Yeah Usually the budget will be pretty high for a supercharged application... But it is pretty high for a built NA engine too.
I'm going to supercharge one of mine... But I am using a eaton supercharger and will be sticking it under a stock hood (hopefully). I will be making everything for mine. I have access to CNC equipment so I can make the attachment plates and everything. I'll be sure to post pics of the progress as I complete it. But it might be a while.

Oh yeah, you don't have to tell me how much it costs! I know it's PRICEY! You have to build the engine accordingly...

-
Back