Why is RotellaT Cheap $ Ponderous Meanderings

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
Ohhhh crap, another oil thread. Well, I am bored.

Older engines, I am not a fan of running overly thick oil due to start-up wear and also parasitic drag I prefer 5w30 or 5w40 for older motors. Heck if I could get 0w30 or 0w40 but that gets into high end synthetics which would be fine if it weren't for oil contamination shortening OCI.

I am considering fancy synthetics vs. more economical dyno because of the need for changing oil more frequently for old engines. Considering that carbureted engines pollute the oil quickly and most hot rods dont get driven much, condensation contamination is an issue too. Ive been considering not running synthetic in old engines because of the frequency of drain interval required to maintain non polluted oil.

Ive been running shell rotella T 10w30 for a while in my small (mowers and similar) engines, usually I will put a teaspoon of lucas zddp (looking for another brand currently).

I dont have any info on zddp content of the T 10w30 but I figure it is around 800 - 1000. I cant find if it is a CI type oil or a passenger car oil. I see some docs available but not sure if they are current.

That 10w30 rotella T can be purchased for less than 5 bucks a quart on amazon if you buy the 3 gallon pack.

Anyways, does anyone have any independent tests of the T 10w30 or current specs regarding ratings and zddp ppm?

Not really interested in 15w40 because of the undesirable start-up wear issues but discussions of any and all oil hypotheoretical meanderings are welcome.

Why is rotella cheap?

shell rotella t from the email I received from shell is 12 to 14 hundred ppm.and it also has one of the best cling factor for cold start ups I know of many marine diesels with over 20 thousand hours and it is all I use in all my cars trucks boats ect . the only thing I don't like is I cant get straight 30 in litre bottles anymore it only comes in 5 litre jugs .

Have you checked your local stores for Rotella? I use it in my diesel and it is between $12 and $13 a gallon locally.

Walmart price on line.

Attachments

• cgfrdesdfres.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 305
I use it in all my stuff and have a Deere dozier with over 9,400 hrs and still uses no oil. Catch it on sale at Tractor Supply.

Rotella is good oil, don't let the price fool you. I personally run 5w-40 T6 synthetic in everything I own, which includes my 01 F250 diesel, 07 Nissan Frontier, and of course the RX7. Nothing I have really requires high levels of zinc but it does still have about 1200 ppm according to oil analysis info I've seen.

cheap ok lol I pay 150.00 t0 170 for 10 gallons please tell me where its cheap at...ill buy what I can in advance..:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

i was referring to the dyno blood version, not the synthetic regarding the price.
amazon has it - 3 gallons - less than 60 bucks. If i was a member of sams club id check if they carry rotella 10w30.

i havent seen any current spec sheets that show ppm zddp in 10w30 rotella T. Maybe Ill email 'em.

Mobil 1 has plenty of detergents to terrorize any flat tappet cam. I promise.

If you run a roller, do whatever you want for oil.

[ame]http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf[/ame]

Here you go, specs of mobile1. Looks like 0w40 - formulated for European diesel engines, high mileage versions and diesel oil is around 1000 / 1100 ppm. The diesel truck 5w40 is 1130 / 1250 ppm. Quite great. And 'spensive. The other half of their oil offerings are anemic (for flat tappets) in my opinion.

Attachments

• Mobil_1_Product_Guide Specs.pdf
    59.6 KB · Views: 96
Also note that Rotella T has the right additives for dirt bike wet clutches too. I use it in my dirt bike transmissions and in my cummins diesel.

A good friend and engineer on the bullitt mustang project once told me to immediately change my oil and not to use 5w at all, especially the ever thinning 5w20 now recommended by all manufacturers! It is strictly a concession to the ever increasing rules by the EPA to meet gas mileage standards! I changed to 10w30 in all my faults and have over 200k on everything, and no signs of slowing down!

My grandfather was a Kendall rep and I come from an oil background. Kendall was the first company to develop and market synthetic oil, and to prove how good the product was, Grandpa drove his company car 50,000 miles without an oil change! He was very knowledgable and loyal to the Kendall brand and can be seen in countless older publications at the starting line or the winners circle handing out the hardware, and of course a 6 pack of Kendall!!

I'm with the crowd that uses Rotella!! Great product for our older engines, especially since Wolf Head and Kendall are no longer available!! Geof

-
Back