why is there a dual element bulb in

-

MY68/6GT

Reaction score
the dome light (68 gt dart)??? cant get the light to turn off ,checking the grounds tonight

Its the wrong bulb the bulb you need has a single filament connected to the 2 terminals on the base. There is no electrical connection to the housing. I believe the one you need is a #68

I don't want to throw in a wrench here but how is a single filiment bulb going to work in a double filiment socket? That's not gonna happen. The contacts and locating pins on the side of the bulb won't even line up. Single filiment bulbs have even spaced pins - dual filiment bulbs have staggered pins. I have the same problem with my dome light. I am tearing the door switches apart hoping to find the problem. Why did they even make a dual filiment socket for the dome light anyway? Does that have anything to do with the optional "Map Light" switch located under the dash?

I believe on the older ones the dual filament socket/bulb was for operation at the door switch and the dashlights switch. For example.....open the door the dome light comes on.......Turn your dash lights all the way up, then there's an extra spot on the switch to turn on the dome light. The dual element is just like a stop/tail lite bulb, it allows for dual operation. Don't quote me but that has been my experience.

there is 2 places for current to be carried to the bulb in that socket. one of the terminals in the socket provides +12 volts the other provided ground when the door is open and the switch is grounded out. most bulbs get their ground from the base of the bub but that wont; work here cause the door switches provide ground when the door is open you need a #1004 bulb for the dome light

the same thing happened with me with my 65. A dual filiment bulb was in my dome light when i got the car. only one filiment was lit and it was the dim side, but it worked. people will shove whatever **** will work into whatever they can.. Life.

haha!

-
Back