Why isn't it selling ?

-

sickt7cuda

Reaction score
I've listed my car on several sites for a few months now, and haven't gotten any serious inquiries. I honestly thought that when I posted this car, I'd receive overwhelming responses from people that saw it as a much wanted car that was a good deal at a fair price.

I'm left wondering if it's the price, demand, lousy economy or what?

Tell me what your take is on it. It's posted in the For Sale section under "67 Barracuda Notchback" Thanks, Sickt7cuda

Dan, I think it is all of the above (price, demand, lousy economy). At this time, you may just have to wait for the "right" person to come along who just has to have it. The only helpers at this time are to find new venues to advertise it and/or lower the price. Also, makes sure that the car is spec'd out with every ad you place vs spec'ing it out after placing the ad. Good luck.

Race cars are hard to sell. Ive found the more stock the car is the easier it is to sell it.

Nice car.

The reason probably lies in "Lousy Economy".

Everyone is on edge over the Presidential Election, Falling Value of the Dollar, rising cost per barrel of oil, Iran persisting to enrich uranium, the threat of another 9/11 type event + Martial Law, and so on.

Sadly, Drag Cars are low on the survival priority for me.

Thanks Adam. I've got most of the original parts to go with the car and I still have the original dash in place. It wouldn't take much to make it Pro Street. How about a Pro Street car that does a 10 sec quarter ?

I'm just puzzled cause I got over $25K + labor into the car and want only $18.5K Crap, for $18.5K in the "new" market, you might get a Hyundai that "fell off the truck" !!!!

I'm left wondering if it's the price, demand, lousy economy or what?

Tell me what your take is on it.

I think it's primarily demand. A-body Barracudas aren't the most sought after car and a pure drag car is only desirable to another racer so you have a pretty small group of folks that would be interested.

Then there is price, used race parts are typically worth 50 cents on the dollar so you will never get anywhere near what you have invested back. You would likely do better if you put the car back to a street car and sold off the race parts separately.

I don't think the economy has a big impact on it not selling at least in the Boston area. There are hot rod restoration shops opening up all over the area and they all seem to be booked out a year or more so folks have money to spend.

More pictures of the engine, interior, trunk, and underside would help. Nice looking car. I'd keep it and put it on the street and have some fun. Take the grand kids for a ride. They would love it.

Well just a few suggestions ....

You have no price listed in your ad here ... your craiglist ad is not working ... hard to sell without a price listed in your ad, I did see the price here in this thread, but it needs to be in the ad thread. Sorry to say but the only time you "make money" on the labor you put in to a car is when it is a highly desirable car of Barret Jackson type of quality. As stated above, used speed parts are usually worth $0.50 cents on the dollar IF that, the exception being rare factory parts. To be quite honest in your pics it looks quite rusty and looks like it needs a full interior. Also to be honest, no matter how many speed parts you bolt to a 318, it is still a 318, so anybody who was going to "pro street" it would be just throwing those parts away to install a big block. I think your going to have it a long time at that price.

A nonrunning car is a lot harder to sell then a running car... ran when parked, not running now puts doubt in to a lot of peoples minds..... if it is something that easy to fix why didn't he fix it before it went up for sale ..... running cars sell for more too.....

Always read your ad as if you were looking at it as a buyer, then think why should I consider this car.

No offense just some suggestions from someone who buys and sells a lot of cars. Hey you did ask for opinions..........

PLEASE DISREGARD MOST OF THE ABOVE, MY STUPID SELF WAS LOOKING AT THE WRONG AD FOR A 67 ...... THEREFOR NONE OF THE ABOVE APPLIES TO THE DISCUSSION AT HAND. ONCE AGAIN I APOLOGUISE MY BAD

TopHat

Well just a few suggestions ....

You have no price listed in your ad here ... your craiglist ad is not working ... hard to sell without a price listed in your ad, I did see the price here in this thread, but it needs to be in the ad thread. Sorry to say but the only time you "make money" on the labor you put in to a car is when it is a highly desirable car of Barret Jackson type of quality. As stated above, used speed parts are usually worth $0.50 cents on the dollar IF that, the exception being rare factory parts. To be quite honest in your pics it looks quite rusty and looks like it needs a full interior. Also to be honest, no matter how many speed parts you bolt to a 318, it is still a 318, so anybody who was going to "pro street" it would be just throwing those parts away to install a big block. I think your going to have it a long time at that price.

A nonrunning car is a lot harder to sell then a running car... ran when parked, not running now puts doubt in to a lot of peoples minds..... if it is something that easy to fix why didn't he fix it before it went up for sale ..... running cars sell for more too.....

Always read your ad as if you were looking at it as a buyer, then think why should I consider this car.

No offense just some suggestions from someone who buys and sells a lot of cars. Hey you did ask for opinions..........

TopHat

I think your looking at the wrong ad. His don't look rusty and it has a 505 big block. Correction #2. It does have a price

Here's a link to his

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=27900

I have to agree with someone else who said you've got to wait for just the right person. Having the original dash in the car still is a big bonus.I have seen prostreeted Novas and Chevelles going for more than that up here. For 18g's it looks pretty nice! Wish I had lotsa $$$$. Good luck with your sale.

The "Barrett-Jackson" syndrome of pure fantasy prices

and museum-correct rotisserie blank-check restos do not

apply in the real world 99.9999999999% of us live in.

Collector/Specialty-Interest cars are down, on average,

thirty-percent from a ten-year high overall only 2 years ago.

And Mopars are down more than Chevy/Ford,

after their "peaks" leveled off & began falling 18 mos. ago.

Add that to the news tonight that gas is headed for a $4 avg. by Summer,

plus the constant media drumbeat of an economy allegedly going to hades,

plus the weak and/or worrisome unpredictable candidates for President,

plus the nuts in the Middle East, China, Pakistan, South America, & Putin,

plus the housing & construction markets, the weakening U.S. dollar,

plus the record foreclosures, corporate bankruptcies, plant closings...

All of that, plus a generalized & pervasive concern across the U.S.A.

about all the many "unknowns" lurking & waiting around the corner

that we're going to have to deal with...effectively...soon...or else

the current state of affairs will soon look like a picnic by comparison.

Ohhhh My bad. I was looking at the wrong ad, very sorry about that. That car seems to be a lot more "in line" with the price he is asking. The ad for a 67 that I thought was his was a blue car. Once again my bad. That is a sweet car but you still need wait for the "right" buyer to come along that "can't live without it"

TopHat

I feel its just a bad economy right now. Thats all you hear on the news and alot of people live by what the news people tell them.
I've got 2 HOUSES FOR SALE also ,so I know the feeling the wait is terrible but things always get better in the spring.Hang on and it'll sell before you want to fire sale it..
Want to buy a house in Wyoming???:snakeman:

You need the right guy to come a long who looking for that exact car,but right now nothing is selling due to the economy,i also think if it were a "fastback",not a notch you'd have better luck selling too...

-
Back