Why John Dodge said the Ford wasn't a real car

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
'When asked why the Dodge Brothers wanted to build their own car, John Dodge replied, "Just think of all the Ford owners who will someday want an automobile."'

I noticed that FABO member tmj91 has been using that famous quote as his byline in his posts. Dodge said that because the Model T Ford didn't have a distributor, a water pump or an electric starter, and the Bros. thought that a modern car (around 1910) should include these items. The Dodges were one of Ford's biggest parts suppliers and had a close working relationship with him. They were also stockholders in the Ford Motor Co. and were on its Board of Directors. They tried to get Ford to modernize the Model T, but Ford repeatedly refused over a period of a number of years. Finally the Dodge Bros. got tired of "being carried around in Henry's vest pocket", as they put it, and decided to make their own car.

Henry Ford was a weird one. He would never produce a 6-cylinder engine because he said he had no use for a motor that had more cylinders than a cow has teats. Good, scientific reason, huh? It must have been really terrible for the Dodge Bros. to work for Henry because he could be so unreasonable. For example, he breached the very first contract he had with the Dodges. He was supposed to pay cash on the barrelhead for all the chassis, differentials and frames that the Dodges delivered, but when the Dodges delivered them Henry was short of money and wanted to pay for them only after the cars were sold. So the Dodges refused to deliver them, and Henry had to agree to give them corporate stock in order to get them delivered. That's how the Dodges became stockholders in Ford Motor. Later that stock became worth many millions, and the Dodges sold it when they began producing their own car, using the proceeds to build their new factory.

Sounds like they had a futuristic outlook! Proved correct...

I heard it called the best business deal in history. The Dodge Brothers were able to negotiate a sweet deal because Ford's track record was terrible, he'd just gone bankrupt, and nobody would finance him. So, $13,000 in parts bought the Dodge's a 10% share in the new Ford Motor Company. When Henry Ford was finally able to buy back their shares years later, it cost him around $11,000,000.

Correction, I just read on wikipedia that it was $25 million, not $11.

Also,did you know,that Ford (and of course everyone else)was so impressed with the Torqueflite,that in the late 50's they paid chrysler to be able to copy some of the internal functions.

67yelodart wrote: "Also,did you know,that Ford (and of course everyone else) was so impressed with the Torqueflite,that in the late 50's they paid chrysler to be able to copy some of the internal functions."

Right, Ford paid Chrysler big money to be able to use the design of the TorqueFlite, but they made some changes to the Chrysler design when they introduced their Cruise-o-matic, and most people think the those changes made the transmission worse, not better.

Ford was forced to consult with Chrysler engineering many times over the years because Henry Ford did not think engineers knew anything and would not hire them. He liked to "engineer" his cars by the seat of his pants. By the time Ford died in 1947, Ford Motor was seriously behind GM and Chrysler in engineering and metallurgy and it took them a long time to catch up. All this consultation occurred "behind the scenes" because Ford Motor wasn't terribly proud that they couldn't solve some of their engineering problems in-house. For example, when they introduced the Falcon engine in 1960, it initially wore out its rings in 40,000 miles or less. Ford couldn't figure out what the problem was, so they secretly consulted with Chrysler. The Chrysler metallurgists discovered that the Falcon engine's block and rings were made from incompatible materials, from a wear standpoint. Once Ford used a different alloy for their rings in this engine, as recommended by the Chrysler metallurgists, the rings would last 100,000 miles or more.

I wonder what the dodge boys would have to say right now.
We'd probably have all kinds of great quotes in our sigs. hehe

The biography of Walter Chrysler titled "Chrysler" was a great read; long, but filed with historical facts and explanations of how the automotive industry evolved. The Dodge Brothers died back in 1920 and afterwards was when their widows agreed to deal with Walter Chrysler and make Dodge part of the Chrysler Corporation. Amazing story.

I wonder what the dodge boys would have to say right now.

Does make you wonder considering what's become of the two companies: Chrysler becoming part of Fiat, and as a result so has the company they started to compete with Ford, while Ford is posting a profit while not taking the government bailout money. Does make you wonder what the Dodge Bros. would say, doesn't it? Or what Walter P. Chrysler would have to say?

hey! thats me! haha i found that quote doing an in-depth history of chrysler for my junior year thesis paper....6 pages worth!

Also,did you know,that Ford (and of course everyone else)was so impressed with the Torqueflite,that in the late 50's they paid chrysler to be able to copy some of the internal functions.

maybe thats why the c4,5s6s look a lot like the mopar trans on the inside

-
Back