Wide Fronts on a 68 Dart

-
Sorry, late to this one, but yes 285/35/18 on 18x10 inch wheels in front with the Hotchkis TVS kit is exactly what I'm running. I actually think the height of these caused a lot of my small fender massaging issues, you'd be better off with a 285/30/18 (Dunlop makes a Z2 this size). Really the work I did on the front fenders was pretty minor (see pic). In the rear I'm running 19x10.5 wheels with 305/30/19 tires, no tubs, but I did push out the rear fenders quite a bit. I know it's not everyone's favorite but you can also get a Ford 8.8 cheap in any junkyard and put that out back, that's what I did to get to get rear disc brakes and a limited slip all for the princely sum of $200...

That looks amazing! what all did you have to do in the fron to fit those?

Might also consider a later b-body rear so you don't have to use odd backspaces front and rear. Cheaper than an A housing too.

i thought about a b-body rear because i have one of those too. but i found an a-body one that was reinforced for drag racing. But thanks!

That looks amazing! what all did you have to do in the fron to fit those?

I took a pneumatic tool and pushed the top of the fender lip out about 3/4 of an inch, rolled the lips, and cut an inch out of the rear of the front lip and re-welded it. As you can see in the pic the 285/35 really fills it up, you could do quite a bit less if you went with a shorter 285/30...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 357
nice. I'm not worried about driving comfort in the suspension, that's what the seats for O:)

You'll hear a lot of people speak poorly of heim joint use on the street and how they ruin ride quality or are noisy. I've never experienced those things. My upper CA's definitely improved the handling, make no noise and didn't negatively affect the ride.

The newest ones are adjustable. We will be out at Qualcomm stadium (San Diego) running our first event for the year this Sunday if you want to see her run...

I got a set for my Dart. I haven't installed them yet, but I can tell you they way half as much as my Bilsteins. :D Hopefully within the next couple months I'll have my car done. School's starting to kick my butt again, but I have and fixed all my parts so it's just a matter of bolting it all together. :banghead:

You'll hear a lot of people speak poorly of heim joint use on the street and how they ruin ride quality or are noisy. I've never experienced those things. My upper CA's definitely improved the handling, make no noise and didn't negatively affect the ride.

I have heims on the Hotchkis adjustable UCA's on my Challenger. I never had a problem with ride quality or noise, but the first set only lasted 7k miles before the heims ended up with galling and wear. Hotchkis replaced them and provided the "boots" that cover the heims, which weren't originally provided. So far no issues on the second set, but I don't think I've put much more than 7k on them again since I've been putting most of my miles on my Duster.

My personal opinion on them is that they're not at all necessary for street use, and that they will not last as long, even with the boots, as a set of bushings. Maybe if you only drive your car when its dry, sunny, and 70*F, but since I drive my car year round and in all conditions I don't expect nearly the same life span out of the heims. And pulling the UCA's and installing new heims every year isn't on my list of fun things to do.

I have heims on the Hotchkis adjustable UCA's on my Challenger. I never had a problem with ride quality or noise, but the first set only lasted 7k miles before the heims ended up with galling and wear. Hotchkis replaced them and provided the "boots" that cover the heims, which weren't originally provided. So far no issues on the second set, but I don't think I've put much more than 7k on them again since I've been putting most of my miles on my Duster.

My personal opinion on them is that they're not at all necessary for street use, and that they will not last as long, even with the boots, as a set of bushings. Maybe if you only drive your car when its dry, sunny, and 70*F, but since I drive my car year round and in all conditions I don't expect nearly the same life span out of the heims. And pulling the UCA's and installing new heims every year isn't on my list of fun things to do.

I only drive my car when it's dry and sunny.

Mine are all loose in 6,500 miles.

well I'm going to be driving year round, all weather, so now I'm leaning back toward the firm feel ones :coffee2:. oh well...

I only drive my car when it's dry and sunny.

Mine are all loose in 6,500 miles.

Really?!

Seems to me like they should last quite a bit longer than that in ideal conditions. I would never expect them to last as long as a bushing just because of the design, but anything under 10k miles is a pretty big hassle. I figured mine went simply because of the use on wet roads and the tendency to pick up road grime when that happens.

On the A-body Hotchis UCA's do the heims sit in the middle with the arms perpendicular to the UCA mounts? Ie, do you think that the heims could be replaced with something like this?

91008002_L_17720a32.jpg

On the E-body there's no way, the tube of the UCA is actually at a slight angle to the mounting bracket, and with the relocated front mount there's no way to put anything other than a heim in there.

Really?!

Seems to me like they should last quite a bit longer than that in ideal conditions. I would never expect them to last as long as a bushing just because of the design, but anything under 10k miles is a pretty big hassle. I figured mine went simply because of the use on wet roads and the tendency to pick up road grime when that happens.

On the A-body Hotchis UCA's do the heims sit in the middle with the arms perpendicular to the UCA mounts? Ie, do you think that the heims could be replaced with something like this?

91008002_L_17720a32.jpg

On the E-body there's no way, the tube of the UCA is actually at a slight angle to the mounting bracket, and with the relocated front mount there's no way to put anything other than a heim in there.

It might have 7200 tops. I've got 6200 on this motor. And maybe 1000 tops before I put the new motor in.

I do have stiff 1.12 T-bars. But a little thicker sidewall than some 245/50/5 tires.

I'll probably just buy the more expensive heims.

It might have 7200 tops. I've got 6200 on this motor. And maybe 1000 tops before I put the new motor in.

I do have stiff 1.12 T-bars. But a little thicker sidewall than some 245/50/5 tires.

I'll probably just buy the more expensive heims.

Interesting.

I run 1.12" torsion bars on the Challenger as well, although that's a wheel rate of 270 for the E-body. But I wouldn't think the higher rate bars would have a huge effect on the UCA's, the primary suspension load is on the LCA.

Definitely doesn't bode well for the heims on my Challenger. And of course, with the boots installed its much more difficult to visualize the wear on the heims. :violent1:

Are you saying in this post that I could theoretically run a 18x10 in the front with a 275/35/18 with 25mm offset? OR 35 mill offset if I ran your brake system and 5mm spacer?

Tom's running a 285/35/18 on an 18x10 up front, but yeah, he pulled the fenders out a bit.

I have 275/35/18's on my Duster on 18x9's. My Duster is being cloned over to a Demon, so it has Dart front fenders on it now with no issues after I lengthened the stock fender-to-bumper braces a smidge to push the lower fender corners out. My 18x9's have a 35mm offset, but I have a Dr Diff 13" brake kit which adds 3/16" to the offset in addition to the 73+ disk track width. I currently run 3mm spacers too, but I probably need to go to 5mm spacers as my tires are just touching the frame at full lock still. So if you add all that up its about 25mm of offset on 18x9's for the stock 73+ disk track width. It would be the same for 18x10's since offset doesn't change with rim width (backspace does).

The '76 Dart Sport that Hotchkis is building also has 275/35/18's on 18x10's.

I think 18x10 is the most you're going to run up front, and that will probably require tubular UCA's to clear the rims at full lock. And a 275/35/18 is probably the widest you can really expect go without starting to modify bodywork. Some cars can obviously take a little more, but that depends on how much wheel lip rolling and fender stretching you're willing to do.

Are you saying in this post that I could theoretically run a 18x10 in the front with a 275/35/18 with 25mm offset? OR 35 mill offset if I ran your brake system and 5mm spacer?

Should work, yes. My effective offset is 27mm, but I have more room to the fenders and I haven't rolled anything in the front. My own personal preference is to set up with about 5mm of "extra" backspace, because you can always add a 5mm or smaller spacer if you have too much backspace, but you have to cut or roll or buy new wheels if you don't have enough.

So, yeah, I would look for an 18x10 with about a 30mm offset and plan on a small spacer with the stock 73+ disk set up. Which might also allow you to keep your wheels if you upgrade the brakes later. A 25mm offset should work, but you don't have any wiggle room if it's tight on your car. If you're planning on aftermarket disks, you probably want to add their offset in before the spacer. Which is how I ended up at a 35mm offset for my set up, because the dr diff kit I run adds ~5mm per side.

And don't forget you'll need tubular UCA's to clear rims that wide.

Perfect. Luckily I will be running 3 piece wheels and can always go wider later. Is 18x9 widest without tubular uppers?

Should work, yes. My effective offset is 27mm, but I have more room to the fenders and I haven't rolled anything in the front. My own personal preference is to set up with about 5mm of "extra" backspace, because you can always add a 5mm or smaller spacer if you have too much backspace, but you have to cut or roll or buy new wheels if you don't have enough.

So, yeah, I would look for an 18x10 with about a 30mm offset and plan on a small spacer with the stock 73+ disk set up. Which might also allow you to keep your wheels if you upgrade the brakes later. A 25mm offset should work, but you don't have any wiggle room if it's tight on your car. If you're planning on aftermarket disks, you probably want to add their offset in before the spacer. Which is how I ended up at a 35mm offset for my set up, because the dr diff kit I run adds ~5mm per side.

And don't forget you'll need tubular UCA's to clear rims that wide.

Yeah, I just got MP Offset shackles and I was calculating I could probably run a +25-27 mm offset with an 18 x 9.5" wheel all the way around with 275/35/18 tires. That would allow me to actually rotate my tires. I kind of want to buy new wheels and tires now. I found 2 sets of wheels that are 4 lbs lighter per corner. Lol. So much money would be wasted. :wack:

Perfect. Luckily I will be running 3 piece wheels and can always go wider later. Is 18x9 widest without tubular uppers?

Depends on the offset and tire width. I have 18x9's with my 27mm offset and 275's, and my rims hit the stock uca's at full lock and suspension droop. So my 18x9's didn't even work without tubular UCA's.

But, that also depends on the steering stops on the lower ball joints, and those vary a bit depending on the manufacturer. I compared a bunch of the old lower ball joints I had and found that the steering stops, and even the angle of the steering arm, were a bit different on a lot of them. Which of course means that what clears on one car might not clear on another and vice versa. The steering stops on my current lower ball joints are pretty small, so there's a lot of steering range and I think that caused my issue. But it was very minor interference, I might have been able to stay with the sock UCA's if I'd used a thicker spacer and taken the offset out to 25mm. It wasn't much at all.

And of course if you went with 255's up front you could use 18x9's with a little less offset, which would give more clearance.

But I think it's safe to say for 275's an 18x9 is the max for stock UCA's, and even then some adjustments might be needed depending on the suspension parts and alignment.

-
Back