Widening exhaust outlet

-

thebearded1

Reaction score
I was planning on opening up the exhaust outlet on my stock manifold to help it breath a little better. What tool would probably work the best? I was thinking about a burr but in a drill or impact driver. Has anyone else used something else with decent success?

I just used a die grinder and various stones, sanding drums, and such to grind away. I opened mine up to just over 2 1/4 inch diameter, but I could have easily gone to 2 1/2 on the manifold I did.

I was planning on opening up the exhaust outlet on my stock manifold to help it breath a little better. What tool would probably work the best? I was thinking about a burr but in a drill or impact driver. Has anyone else used something else with decent success?
Take it to the Machine Shop or use a die grinder

I had a stone bit and was able to open it up to a little over 2". The opening now matches the gasket I have. I was able to do this while it was on the engine and in the car since my slant is in a open body roadster. I will try to take it out some more next time I have the exhaust off.

I used a die grinder and carbide tip. I opened it up to about 2 3/8". I even went a step further and gasket matched the inlets. This took about 1 hour, I also expect it to do nothing.

But I had a spare hour so why not.

I used a football-shaped burr and a die grinder, and took mine out to 2-1/4". I could have gone further but didn't want to get too thin anywhere - mostly due to my lack of experience.

-
Back