widest tire

-
Reaction score
i have a 70 duster with superstock springs in the rear. what is the widest tire i can go with out having to tub the car.

thanks

I've run some 265/50 15 BFG's on 15x10 Centerline Drag lights w/5 inch offset on my '72 Duster 340. They were less than a 1/4 inch from the SS springs and rubbed a little bit on the spring during hard cornering.

Now I'm running 255/60 15 M/T ET streets on the same rims, but, had to use a 1/4 inch aluminum spacer to get a little more clearance for the springs.

I've heard of people saying that they've run 275's on their Duster. I never tried any tires that wide because the 265 BFG's were so close to the springs that I couldn't get a finger tip between the tires and the SS springs.

I ran 275's of my old demon for a while but if I hit a bump hard they woulld rub the out side I think the 265 is about the biggest you would want to go

I run 275 60 15 m/t drag radials on the back of my '70 duster everything in stock location still,they tend to rub only when i run it at the track after lowering the pressure to make passes.....these are on stock rallyes 15x7 4.5 backspace 4" bolt pattern....

I have 265/50's right now on my dart, they are the same width as 275/60's. Lower profile tires always have more section width. But the extra height might get you into trouble, its the upper part of my wheel wells that give me trouble. If you had SS springs, then you might be OK. Its all in the wheel backspacing.

15 x 8 Draglite w/4.5 BS on an A-body 8 3/4 with stock axles and drums redrilled for 4.5 BC. (makes a difference with spacing) Stock wheel wells. No rubbing yet.

-
Back