Wierd oil leak problem....... fixed.....

-

B3422w5

Reaction score
The 360 in my 69 Dart had a problem that was tough to figure out. At least for me.
After making a 1/4 pass in the car it would sling a good bit of oil onto the passenger inner fender. Half can of brake clean every pass.
After mildly porting the eddie heads and cutting them 45 thou ish last summer i have been fighting this problem.
First thought the Mopar cast black valve covers needed clearanced to the inside by the intake runners. Didnt fix it. Did a little more clearancing of them. Still not fixed, and only the passenger side had oil on it. Never the drivers side. Both covers seemed flush on the heads.
Thought maybe the alternator bolt had cracked the head. Not it. Breather. Nope. Intake leaking. Nope.
Finally my last outing a buddy shows up that works as an outboard boat motor mechanic at a boat dealer. He says.... “ think i know what it is, its your factory dip stick” i said, nah, it isnt popping out or moving after a run, and dont see any oil on tube. I had had a few guys look at this issue,continued to be an issue.
So he pulls out the dipstick( and i didnt know this.... duh!) there is a tiny little cork gasket up inside the “ hood” of the stick. He says... look, about 1/2 of that little cork piece isnt there.
So we wrap it with tape, and i go up for the last qualifing pass before elims..... come back to the pits and before i can get my belts off and out of the car he already has the hood popped open with a big grin on his face.........
Thank God for boat mechanics..... lol
New stick going in tonight.

Glad I'm not the only one who had that problem. Second or third test drive after breaking in my 360, mine started doing the same thing, just after a hard pull. Started freaking me out. My solution turned out to be taking out the incorrect PCV valve and replacing it with the factory one, as well as adding a second breather cap on the passenger side rocker cover.

-
Back