Will 275's fit?

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 15 X 8" SBP rims with a 4 3/4" back spacing I bought a few months ago. My car has ESPO's super stock leaf springs in their stock location. My car also sits a *bit* high in the rear. My question is will 275-60-15" fit back there comfortably? Looks like it *should* be no problem.
DSC00001-vi.jpg

SANY0037-vi.jpg

I have 245-60-14" back there now and I HAVE to fill out those rear wheel wells..... it looks really weak now. I'm ready to send TIRERACK some coin for new sneakers for the Wife's GTI. Might as well grab a pair of BFG's for the Fish too....

Help me spend some money guys..... :toothy10:

John I had the same rims on my 69, I had 255-60 15s on the back and they were real close to the springs. If you move the spring in with the offset hangers the 275-60-15s will fit perfect.

My Buddy Tom has 275's on his Duster with 15" X 8" Welds and I *think* stock spring location.

SANY0005-vi.jpg

These are the M-T's Tom had last summer, not the 275's. But can anyone tell from this shot by looking at the springs in relation to the backing plates? I can't get him on the phone at the moment and this is bugging me. While I don't want my car looking like an 80's street freak with HUGE tires out back, I don't want space in the wheel wells.

And I have no plans on moving those springs.....
8)

The 275-60-15's fit perfectly on my factory ride height '67 notchback.

Pictures:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=94032

DSCN6152.jpg

When I was 17 I had a White `69 Notchback. 318,auto w/console, Black interior, headers, Thrush header mufflers, and Cragar S/S. Pure heaven for a young gearhead!

I owned that car for 5 weeks before it got clipped from in front of my house. It was never recovered. That broke my heart back when it happened.... but looking at your car I just got a sweet twinge of nostalgia thinking of what I did with & in that car. Thank you. 8)

Aside from owning a neat `Notch, I have to ask what back spacing do you have on your rims? I realized mine are actually 7" across the inside of the beads. I may be stuck with 255's anyway....
:angry7:

Looks like a 255 would be a more sensible choice. I'll be ordering them the beginning of the week.

And then I have to have the rims painted.... along with the air cleaner lid.... and have some powder coating done.... and finish the trim....and swap the mufflers.... and.....

%$#@#$% car!

The 255s are a safe bet. Also, If you don't want the back end up so high, you might consider adding the adjustable spring hangers to your "to do" list. Also shims to adjust the pinion angle.

Lookin' good! Hopefully you can make it to Etown this year.

flip the front spring hangers if you want to bring the height down some

Its not the tire size thats Johns problem, Its the backspacing on the rim. However, I just re-read and he said his are 4-3/4", Mone were 4-7/8" back spacing and the rims were 8.5" wide.

86.jpg

275/60s with 15 x 8, 4.5 inch backspacing no problem on mine, perfect actually. But my axle width and spring location is not stock (fr0m to drum rear axle 58 1/4 inches from memory, and I have 1/2 inch spring relocation kit. But then again 275/60s also fitted on the previous set up where I had 4 inch backspacing on an 8 inch rim, stock spring location. My guess is that with 4 3/4 backspacing the inside of the tire would be very close to the leaf springs, if not rubbing. Simple solution would be to fit a tire and see how it goes (but Im assuming you dont yet have the 275/60s nor can borrow one).

161020091210WEB.jpg

161020091206.jpg

These are 255/60-15s. See how close they are close to the front of the wheel well.

isn't the 255 the width?

i have a 275/60/15 on my 67 Barracuda notch and they just do fit. They are really close to the springs, but look awsome!!

This is 255/60-15 on 15x8 wheels with 4.5" of back spacing. Springs are in stock location.

IMG_0810.jpg

I could have easily gotten a 275/60-15 under there if the wheel had LESS back spacing, 4.25 or 4" would have centered the wheel better. As it is the side wall of the tire is about 1/2" from the spring. With the 275 you would get about .8" more width in the cross section of the tire compared to the 255 which would be about .4" on each side. With the 4.5" of back spacing the tire would barely clear and would rub for sure going around corners. With 4.75" of back spacing the tire would be incontact with the spring all the time.

When I was 17 I had a White `69 Notchback. 318,auto w/console, Black interior, headers, Thrush header mufflers, and Cragar S/S. Pure heaven for a young gearhead!

I owned that car for 5 weeks before it got clipped from in front of my house. It was never recovered. That broke my heart back when it happened.... but looking at your car I just got a sweet twinge of nostalgia thinking of what I did with & in that car. Thank you. 8)

Aside from owning a neat `Notch, I have to ask what back spacing do you have on your rims? I realized mine are actually 7" across the inside of the beads. I may be stuck with 255's anyway....
:angry7:

My apologies for never checking back in this thread. My rears are factory wheels, not sure of the spacing.

I have wheel vintique 15x8 with 4 5/8 back spacing and the 275/60-15 M&H drag radials fit just fine in da 68 FB fish. The clearance to one fender top lip is tighter than the other but that seems to be normal for the lats 60's mopars. No issue with the front of the tire hitting the wheelwell.

Next time I will get 275/50-15 drag radials. Good stance with the 60's (205/70-14 in front) but lower gearing due to a smaller tire will help get more RPMs at the finish line.

Im running n-50-15s on 10 inch cragars using offset shackles, s/s springs. We used a truck dana 60 and narrowed it slightyl narrower than stock a body width.

Hi Fastback340,I dont know if you got your tires but here is a picture of my 1968 Dodge Dart with 275/60/15 on a steel 7" rim, with a 4 5/16 backspace ,stock suspension (sits a bit high) but the car has nothing in it. Thats probably the MAX tire you will get under there without inboarding the leafs.

Attachments

• Picture 079.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 896
  • Picture 080.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 899
  • Picture 086.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 916
i have a 71 dart looking to put 275xr60x15 . going to move the springs over not mini tub just with offset spring hangers . front an back . the 275s with fit with out cutting the 1/4 ??? what would be a good B/S ?? i have seen some many set up on b/s.

-
Back