will 77 440 fit?

-

73VAswngr

Reaction score
I have a line on a 440 and 727 from a 77 chrysler new yorker. Does anybody know if it will fit a 73 Dart Swinger? Thanks!

It hasn't run for 3 years and "some water got in it". They want 300 for it...Should I do it?

I'd make sure it turns over before shelling out any cash. Best thing would be to pull the heads and pan and take a look.

I'd make sure it turns over before shelling out any cash. Best thing would be to pull the heads and pan and take a look.
X2 OR JUST OFFER HIM $50 AS-IS..i am always leery of purchasing motors or trannys without seeing or hearing them in action first...
I thought the later 440's had lighter castings or something, along with the cast crank ....:wack:

Right now I'm a /6. I planned on upgrading eventually but heard about this and was wondering if it was something I should jump on (and let sit in my garage) or not or if the 77 engine and tranny were even compatable with a 73 Swinger. I was looking at a 360 before. Is the 440 swap just as "easy" as a 360 swap?

Yes the motor will fit in your car BUT not without some mods. You'll need a set of schumaker mounts for the / to Big Block motor and then you'll need to invest in a set of their headers. Use a mini starter. See if you can get the radiator/shroud also. I went with an aluminum. When you put in the 440 you will need an oil pan #'s 187 or a 699 to clear some steering components. As far as the condition of the motor goes, more than likely you will do a rebuild on it before installing it. You should try and turn it over. If it is not too rusty inside it will machine out ok during a bore job. Start at $100 and go from there. It's hard to go down in price but you can come up. In my neck of the woods i give $250 for the engine/tranny combo. Be sure and get all the brackets for the motor.

Right now I'm a /6. I planned on upgrading eventually but heard about this and was wondering if it was something I should jump on (and let sit in my garage) or not or if the 77 engine and tranny were even compatable with a 73 Swinger. I was looking at a 360 before. Is the 440 swap just as "easy" as a 360 swap?
not at all. the only way to get a 440 in is custom motor mounts from shumacher and if u dont want to alter the body you'd have to get the tri y headers. stock manifolds wont fit. and the stock 7 1/4 rear end would have to go either way

-
Back