Will a 2 core work???

-

7DUSTER3

1973 Plymouth Duster 360
Reaction score
I know this is a huge topic lately please bare with another question. Will i be okay running a 2 core radiator in my duster? I have a street strip setup 360, I recently purchased a 3 core radiator from a place out of Carson CA, and when it got here i found out that it is only a 2 core... ( ITS GOING BACK) If i buy a generic summit brand 2 core radiator and use a fan shroud will i overheat?????

thanks,

Bryce/Bob

I personally wouldn't run a two core radiator, although I'm sure some on here will tell you they do with no problem. Take the radiators to a shop and they can tell you if the tanks are large enough to recore with a three core. I recently had mine done that way. Certainly cheaper than the newer aluminum ones, and will work great.

I'm one of those guys that run 2 core radiators without any problems, gets 95 - 100 in the summer. The main thing is to have a good clean radiator regardless of how many rows. I have noticed that some online parts stores list a 3 core but if you look on the page there is fine print that stated a 2 core may be shipped, or something of that nature.

Chuck

This is the reply I made on the thread universal radiator with a little addition.
I bought a summit radiator part # SUM-380460 for my Duster that I'm putting a 440 in. It's a tight fit but it already has the mounting brackets on it and the outlet is on the proper side for the MP alum. water pump housing. If you read in the application it says it will work in a lot of b-bodies with big blocks so keeping one cool shouldn't be an issue. If you need the inlets and outlets on the opposite sides order a part # SUM-380459. I ordered this one for my son's 93 Doge pick up we're putting warm 360 in. Summit also a shroud with or without fans in a couple configurations.
As for the number of rows. Yes you might have 3 rows with tubes that are somewhere between 3/8 and 7/16 wide per row. The aluminum 2 row radiators have tubes that are 1 inch to 1 1/8 wide. So as far as cooling area of the core I would say there as much if not more in the aluminum radiator.
My last point is this. Look at all the new cars, they all have aluminum radiators for the most part and the run them with 195 degree thermostats. So their running hot from the start.

The heavy duty 318 AC / 340 radiator is a two core unit. I am using a Ready Rad / Modine unit from Advance Auto which is the 22" heavy duty radiator on my 360 (~370 HP) and the temperature stays constant whether it is 20 degrees or 100 degrees, shroud or no shroud, fixed fan or clutch fan.

-
Back