Will a 275 tire fit in the front of a duster?

-

blue missile

Reaction score
Any one with an Alterkation could help me here. Will a 17"x275 tire fit in the front with an alterk?
Andrew

I would try finding some cheap used ones to experiment before buying new ones

1st...I highly doubt it and 2nd....WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO?????

Same reason you run big tires in the rear of your Duster. For grip. :roll:

Lots of new performance cars with less weight in the front have that 275 wide of front tires.

275/40/17 will fit a stock suspension if you can get the backspace around 5.25" or more with a 17x9 rim. You probably have to roll/cut/fold the front lower fender lip. Like what's talked about in the thread listed above. Problem is I don't know if an Alterkion can take that much backspacing. Best to just ask Bill Reilly.

clair.davis has done a lot of fitting with the bigger tires on the nose of these cars. You might check him out.

It's not an alter-k-tion front end, but it has 275/40-17's, so I'm sure with the right backspacing you can get them to fit fine.

lfr_duster_029.jpg

The reason I asked is that have the rims that the 315s are currently on and if I go to the 18s to run 335s in back, I wanted to put the 17s on the front with thinner tires. I was told by my tire guy that the thinnest I could go is 275s.
By the way if I actually have to cut sheet metal on this car I dont know what i will do!!! :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10
Andrew

You have 10" wide rims?.....if so, I doubt they will fit. What kind of Backspace you have on that rim?

RJ,
they are 17x10.5" with a 1.1" offset, so thats a 6.35" backspace.
Andrew

I'm gonna say no, they wont fit. My rims have 6.25" (or 6.5" cant recall off the top of my head) BackSpace and they are pretty tight to the frame (8.5" rim) with a 255 tire at full turn. I know that adding 2" of rim outward would never work on my car, be bangin the fender hard!.

That 275 might look a little "stretched" on a 10.5" rim too, but that's personal preference

Bill Reilly has a 285 on a 18x9 with 6.27" of BS mocked up on his Dart, notched his frame a little. His car is a little higher than mine tho, and a Dart fender may allow a little more room :dontknow: maybe

OK,
so it looks like If I go to the 18s in the rear I will have to sell the 17s and get another set for the front. we'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Thanks RJ and its good to hear from you.
Dion, what size rims and backspacing are you running in the front?
Andrew

Sorry, that isn't my car, but it is another guys on this forum (can't remember his screen name, but he owns a transmission shop someplace). I just saved the picture.

According to my notes, those are the Mustang 17x9 Cobra R wheels, with 5.95" of backspacing (or more accurately +24mm offset).

Search for "leadfoot rally" on here, you should be able to find the build thread with more info.

-
Back