will a 440 mag fit

-

dubdude09

Reaction score
i jus got a 73 dodge dart and would like to know is a 440 mag will fit.

You will need to change out the K-member or buy after market motor mounts to allow your Big Block to fit your Six cyl or Small block K-member depending on which engine your car has in it! Also a big block tranny and A-body exuast manifolds or headers will be needed.

Anything will fit if you've got a big enough hammer ;)

In addition to what Jason mentioned above, you'll also want to change out your torsion bars, beef up your rear springs for the torque, upgrade your brakes, and consider subframe connectors if you're planning to build up that 440. That much motor in a little A-body is an awesome thing, but it's got to be handled correctly.

Not to worry Dubdude, a few of us here have gone down that dark tunnel and put BB's in A Bodies. Check these guys out http://www.engine-swaps.com/ , they make the job a lot easier with their mounts and they also sell the headers that don't capture the starter. With a 440 however you'll probably chose to loose the power brakes which means a good set of discs up front is a must. Most of what the guys above say is true and good advice, upgrades required are 727, 8 3/4 rear, subframe connectors (don't try it without them), somewhere aroung .890" torsion bars, minimum 3 core rad with a good shrouded fan. You can reduce the extra weight factor with headers, aluminum heads, aluminum intake and fiberglass hood. The swap is expensive but if you're into torque with a fairly stock internal 440 it's alot of fun. You may also want to consider a stock or stroked 400, they aren't as tight a fit as the 440 but go like stink.

Terry:burnout:

i learned every little bit of big block info from this site an a big part over at BigBlockDart.com now i drive one everyweekend!

MIKEY

-
Back