will a 518 work here...

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to close a deal (fingers crossed!) on a very clean 69 New Yorker with a 440 in it. My plan is to use this to replace my 68 Fury as my running around car. I have a customers/buddy 1993 3/4 Van that got totalled out sitting on the back lot. The paperwork from AAMCO(!) who did the tranny 7 months prior to the crash is in the glovebox.
I already know about the SB/BB bolt pattern difference that requires something to be done bellhousing wise, what I was wondering out loud is if the swap would be worth it. Of course we all know a BB C-body ain't gonna get 25 mpg even if its going downhill with a tail wind, but will it make a discernible difference and or worth the effort/headache on a car that would probably log 120 miles a week (my current avg.) or the once or twice a year 500 mile car show trip.

I don't know about how to adapt A-518 to a big block but on a mid size vehicle such as a diplomat it makes about 5 or better mpg difference. I own 2 dakotas with one with A-500 and the other with A-904 both 4 wheel drive and the one with A-500 transmission gets an average of 6 mpg difference, not sure if its because it has lower milage then my other one or not Just my opinion on it

found out a company named JVX out of Memphis TN makes an adapter plate/kit to put 500/518's to big blocks...

Are you gonna leave the engine stock? A 2.76 gear would be killer.....if it doesn't already have one.

stock is the plan with the exception of the ignition. don't know what rear gear it has in it, if its that high then I wouldn't think an OD would be necessary. I'm just thinking out loud right now.

car has 2.76:1 gears, never mind... if I can pull the deal off I'll be going to St. Louis to pick it up.

-
Back