will a 68 dart amp gauge handle 78 amp alt?

-
the new alternator is capable of puting out more amps if you need it, if you do not have a big stereo with power seats and windows the stock guage will be fine. I would suggest that you take the bulkhead connectors apart and make sure they are clean and in good shape. I am a big fan of bypassing the guage and bulkhead connectors but also know there are many cars that do not do it and have zero problems.

why go to a 78 amp? are you running alot of load? if so, try running any amp drawing items off the alternator rather than the battery. this way you don't send the entire load thru the entire electrical system and the load doesn't get pulled thru the ammeter.

thanks, i dont have much amp draw at the moment.. I plan on replacing the lead from the alt to the S realy, and adding a VR and newer alt.. and eventully add cooling fans, a/c H4 lights.. stereo and small amp

does the alt lead wire go from the alt directly into the amp gauge, then from amp gauge to the batt Or S relay??

The large wire from the alt goes through the bulkhead connector to one side of the amp meter, the other side of the amp meter goes out through the bulkhead connector to the fusible link and then finally to the starter relay.

The easiest solution is to run a lead (8 guage) from the alternator to the bulkhead connector side of the fusible link, and then run another wire from the same side of the fusible link through a hole in the firewall to both terminals of the amp meter,do not disconnect any of the existing wires from the amp meter. This will disable the amp meter and eliminate all of the current form going through the bulkhead connectors. You will also want to add a volt meter to keep an eye on the charging system status.

I wouldn't do it unless i had another 10ga wire directly to the starter relay at the minimum. For what its worth i run a 90amp alternator with 6gauge output wire to the battery +

I'd be worried about the fuseable link. I replaced mine with a 10ga wire and drilled out the hole in the wireing block on the firewall. Then hooked up a 50 amp sloblow fuse under the dash to flow thru to the amp gauge. I always carry a spare in the glove box but haven't needed it yet.

-
Back