Will a 8.25 work?

-

Magnum87

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before etc... but do u think a 8.25 rear in a 73 Coronet with a 360 making about 450 hp last? It would be rebuilt and a suregrip added and would probably be running 3:55 or 3:90 gears. Would also be running a built 904 transmission. The car weighs probably around 3800 pounds. Would see some strip use but mostly street. Thanks

Pretty long, our '66 Cuda is 3600 lbs, 400(ish) HP, 3.55's.
3 seasons of Brackets (13.50's) on street tires and NO issues.
Ma Mopar used them in 1/2 ton pickups if that says anything?
If nothing else, I think the street tires "protect" it...

Violence is harsh on rear ends. In other words, slicks, 500 ft of torque, and a 4200 converter OR a 4 speed dumping the clutch with slicks. That being said, I don't think the 8.25 is the right rear end for your car, but if it's on street tires that will spin and take the violent slam out of it, then it may live for a while...

Yeah I will be running street tires no slicks. Pretty heavy car and it’s gonna be a stout 360. Just occasional strip use. Mostly street. Converter will probably be in the 2800-3000 range

All that said, we are narrowing a Ford 8.8 before we add Drag radials due to common/cheap aftermarket support.
It occurred to us if we broke an axle we would have to buy another A body 8.25 to get one as there is no aftermarket replacement...

Yeah I will be running street tires no slicks. Pretty heavy car and it’s gonna be a stout 360. Just occasional strip use. Mostly street. Converter will probably be in the 2800-3000 range
What's said above is correct however I don't think you're going to be very happy racing it as spinning tires are notorious for not producing consistent times/runs. In bracket racing it's consistency that produces wins.

Now, if all you're doing is going to the track once in a while to get your jollies...by all means use the street tires - it's what ya got!

What's said above is correct however I don't think you're going to be very happy racing it as spinning tires are notorious for not producing consistent times/runs. In bracket racing it's consistency that produces wins.

Now, if all you're doing is going to the track once in a while to get your jollies...by all means use the street tires - it's what ya got!
Not bracket racing. Just going to be going and seeing what the car will run etc. yes I know slicks are better etc...

-
Back