Will a radiator overflow bottle automatically siphon back in when cold?

-

TheBigE

70 Duster - Slant 6
Reaction score
Hello.

I just put a junkyard radiator overflow bottle out of a 76 Duster onto my 70 Duster slant 6. I did it mainly to catch any coolant that might overflow on a really hot day and keep my driveway in better shape.

Any ideas gang if it also will work like the newer cooling systems and suck the coolant back into the radiator after the engine cools down?? Or do I need a new rad or different rad cap to have this work to refill the rad automatically??

Thanks for any info.

The Big E

To run a recirculating cooling system you need:

A tank with an inlet at the bottom.
Hose to run from tank to rad.
Rad. cap with a lower rating.

I use a cheap universal tank on my 67 Dart Slant six. She seems to like about a 7 lb. cap.Works like a charm.

any coolant recovery cap should do the trick regardless of its opening pressure rating.

Does this help in anyway to keep the engine cooler than not haveing a recirculating cooling system?

Using a 7lb cap would allow more coolant to fill the bottle than a 16lb would be the only difference wouldn't it?

I had one on another car with a 16lb cap and I never saw any difference in the bottles coolant level.... it was always the same no matter if the engine was hot or cold.??? I have been working on getting the temperature down on my car and have been putting things together. One thing on the list was a recirculating cooling system but didn't know the proper cap to use.

just ask for a cap for a 73 and it would be a recovery cap. Cooler ? maybe just a tad. The real advantage to a recovery system is keeping the system full It was the air in the system that caused the rust.

Looks like I have everything then but maybe the right cap.

I should have taken the rad cap from the junker car I got the recovery bottle from!!! Is it specifically called a recovery cap or just one with a lower PSI rating.

Thanks for he excellent info gang.

The Big E

Unless you want an OEM cap, just go to the parts store and ask for a cap for your car with a coolant recovery system. You'll know you have the right one cause it will have two separate rubber seals to seal the upper and lower part of the radiator filler neck. Non-recovery caps just have the one seal on the bottom and seal only the bottom of the radiator neck. 15-16lb cap will be fine.

I am not certain, but I think the higher pressure cap will aid in overheating. The higher pressure will require a higher temperature before the boiling point is reached. Same principal as is used with pressure canning for food...
C

if i remember right for every 1 pound increase in rad. cap release pressure you add you will increase the coolants boiling point by 3 degrees.......

-
Back