Will an 8 1/4" bolt right in to my 7 1/4" spot?

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
I have a 68 Valiant with a slant six auto 7 1/4". I want to convert to BBP and discs upfront. I have a buddy that has a BBP 8 1/4" out of a dart he thinks. Will my current driveshaft work with this? The rearend is complete with E brake cables as well. Will these cables work with my setup or my current ones work with it? thanks!

the cables could if they are the correct style. there are to styles, a single cable with an equalizer that connects to a long and short e brake cable, and a Y type that connects to two short cables.

To go from a 7.25" rear to an 8 1/4" you need to shorten the driveshaft about 1.6". Obviously the way to do that would be to measure your car, as they're all a little different. But the difference in the yoke positions is ~1.6".

The brake cables from the 8 1/4 probably won't work, as buckshot mentioned there's two different styles, and the early and late cars used different styles. So more than likely the 8 1/4 has a different set up than your '68 7.25. But the cables on your car should work for the 8 1/4. You'll have to loosen up your e-brake tension adjuster all the way though, because an A-body 7.25" is not exactly the same width as an A-body 8 1/4". A-body 7.25" and A body 8 3/4" rears are about 1" different in width, with the 8 3/4 being wider. Not sure how the 8 1/4's compare, but it should be within the range of adjustability of your e-brake cable.

""Will my current driveshaft work with this?" NO."..........why? too short? u joint wrong size?
"the cables could if they are the correct style. there are to styles, a single cable with an equalizer that connects to a long and short e brake cable, and a Y type that connects to two short cables."............so if my current style is the same as the new diff it will work?

will the 8 1/4" use the same u joint as mine? what does it cost to get a driveshaft shortened? any good place in Ontario Canada that does this? I guess the E brake thing is a minor hiccup that can be dealt with later.

""Will my current driveshaft work with this?" NO."..........why? too short? u joint wrong size?" Yours is too long and would have to be cut down.

I swapped an 8 1/4 into my 68 B'cuda w/ 318 and 904. My existing e-brake cables are the type that has a single cable coming back into a 3-4" bar. Short cable to left side, long cable to right. Everything fit.
I used a driveshaft from a 78 Aspen. No cutting or shortening involved.

-
Back