Will an 8 3/4 rear end fit in a 73 dart sport?

-
Hey rusty, what is the correct way to measure the length of the dif. Online we have seen many different answers and we are unsure if it’s hub to hub, flange to flange, or something completely different. If it is hub to hub, where exactly are these measurements taken?
I would measure flange to flange.

Ok so what exactly is flange to flange. The pictures online don’t help much. Cant tell if it’s the backing plate for the axel or what.
There is a sticky in yellow at the top of this forum that gives accurate rearend widths, both flange to flange, and drum to drum. And spring pad widths.

As it turns out, the 9 inch has 3.70 gears. The shop said the ring and pinion were warn and some metal shavings were evident. We are going to put 3.55's in it for a little less rpm's at higher speeds. The way the leaf springs were mounted was very very poor. The spacers the previous owners put between the springs, and the dif mounting pad(to compensate for the difference in mounting location height) were not equal and made one side sit higher than the other. I can't help but wonder if the dif, combined with poorly fabricated shackle mounts/ angles are all contributing to the problem. The dif will be ready in a week or so and we will order a stock set of springs. I think if we did what they did before us, but much much better, it might work.

Have the 9 inch back with 3.55 gears. Also have hotchkis rear leafs. Ran into a snag when I went to mount the springs for mocking purposes. First off, decided we will have to use the factory spring mounting locations because the new leafs are not long enough, which creates a very poor rear mounting angle. I have the brackets that connect the front of the leaf springs to to the frame, but I’m having an issue. The mounting holes to attach the bracket to the frame, will not line up when a bolt is put through the main hole on the bracket. Very tricky to explain, so I will provide pictures. I believe the only way it will work, is if I mount the front of the springs to the bracket, then install the bracket to the frame. This will allow for enough room for the bolt or nut to fit between the frame and the bracket.

Another issue I ran into, is how the hell do I mount the rear springs to the frame. I am missing the rear mounting bracket , and hardware, and I can’t seem to find what I need online. I have the 3 inch adjustable rear hanger but nothing to attach it to. And yes I’m aware that the exhaust mount isn’t factory. We are doing side exhaust.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Thank you

-
Back