Will an Electric Water Pump Live on the Street?

-

Valiant1

Reaction score
A few years back I put a Moroso electric water pump and electric fan on my 340 Duster when I was taking it to the track more than driving it on the street. I did this to help cool the engine down faster between runs. This worked out very well.

Now I don't really go to the track much and want to start driving the car more often on the street. I'm not talking any highway jaunts due to the 4.86:1 gears, just local cruise nights and around town a little bit. My worry is that I may be asking more of the pump than what it was really designed for. The car will sit and idle forever and never move above 180', but once I start driving the car it creeps up in temp. I've let it get to about 210 before I pulled over and let the pump and fan cool it back down to where I felt comfortable.

I've read several posts about "is my car running to hot?" and a lot of people feel that 210 is just fine. The car has never over heated because I've never let it, but I'm just wondering if the electric pump is unable to keep up with the engines' cooling demands and if it would run cooler on the street if I put the mechanical pump back on it?

It has a 2 core aluminum 27"x18" radiator, 3000cfm electric puller fan w/ shroud, 180' stat, and a 21# cap. The radiator is completely sealed to the core support, so the air is not able to go around the radiator.

Could it be that the pump just doesn't move enough coolant when the engine is above idle?

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 235
The way I see it the fan is almost or directly on the driver side and doesn't pull air from the right side of the rad and doesn't do the job like it is supposed to

It need to pull air on entire rad surface so both the rad and fan do there job

Electric fan aren't suppose to go on the street they aren't made for that purpose
But I know few guys running them without problem

My two cents

Bob

IMHO, I wouldn't trust that pump for long term use. There is a reason you don't see them on any "stock" vehicles (that I know of).

crazy340 is right though... does your fan pull air from the entire radiator? It really should have a proper shroud (I can't tell if it does, from the picture you posted).

There is a full shroud that is sealed to the radiator, but I never thought about the fan being off set as a problem. It had to go there to clear the pump. I should try some tests to see if I'm getting full flow through the radiator, but the fan moves a ton of air. Even so, the issue happens when the car is driving and the fan should have less affect on the cooling system. I think I'm just going to go back to the mechanical pump for piece of mind, if nothing else. Thanks for the input.

With a standard belt and pump its going to flow more with increase in engine Rpm...The electric is going to be the same whatever that is.....

There is a full shroud that is sealed to the radiator, but I never thought about the fan being off set as a problem. It had to go there to clear the pump. I should try some tests to see if I'm getting full flow through the radiator, but the fan moves a ton of air. Even so, the issue happens when the car is driving and the fan should have less affect on the cooling system. I think I'm just going to go back to the mechanical pump for piece of mind, if nothing else. Thanks for the input.

The offset fan should be O.K., because with the shroud it has no choice but to pull air through the entire radiator.

-
Back