Will backing plates (and brakes) from an 8 1/4" fit an 8 3/4"?

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
I have an 8 1/4" rear from an a body but the gears are screwed. I have an 8 3/4" from a truck that I could get narrowed but need axles and brakes for it.
Will backing plates (and brakes) from an 8 1/4" fit an 8 3/4"?

I think you just have to drill the 5th hole in the backing plate for the flange studs.

Yup. Or remove the extra stud. If you're keeping the stock bearings and adjusters I'd be inclined to keep the 5th stud and just drill the hole. For green bearings I wouldn't worry about it.

So far iv removed backing plates 10 x 2.5 from a 7 1/4 and 8 1/4 and havnt seen a pair without the 5th hole.I just did the conversion,the only thing i can comment about is to make sure you get the shoes that work with your hardware style[parking brake]..some of the early shoes use a round pin for the parking brake brkt mount and the later style uses a slot and so the brkt is different along with the strut bar..also the springs are a little different..the early style [round pin ]uses a long spring and a short spring at the top and the later slot style shoes use two long springs at the top..if you order[i did] a spring kit,the only ones i found do not supply the two long springs only a long and a short[pin type mt]u need two long springs for the later style shoe[slot] which you can order seperate...the shops iv bot shoes from like to supply the shoes with the slot instead of the shoes you mite need[pin]...rockauto lists pin type shoe as 333 if i remember rite and slot shoes as 444..so when you need shoes you have to be specific as to what style you have..both style shoe will work on the same back plate..the p brake hardware is the determining factor..ANY QUESTIONS..LOLOLOL..drums work also..good luck..j

So far iv removed backing plates 10 x 2.5 from a 7 1/4 and 8 1/4 and havnt seen a pair without the 5th hole.I just did the conversion,the only thing i can comment about is to make sure you get the shoes that work with your hardware style[parking brake]..some of the early shoes use a round pin for the parking brake brkt mount and the later style uses a slot and so the brkt is different along with the strut bar..also the springs are a little different..the early style [round pin ]uses a long spring and a short spring at the top and the later slot style shoes use two long springs at the top..if you order[i did] a spring kit,the only ones i found do not supply the two long springs only a long and a short[pin type mt]u need two long springs for the later style shoe[slot] which you can order seperate...the shops iv bot shoes from like to supply the shoes with the slot instead of the shoes you mite need[pin]...rockauto lists pin type shoe as 333 if i remember rite and slot shoes as 444..so when you need shoes you have to be specific as to what style you have..both style shoe will work on the same back plate..the p brake hardware is the determining factor..ANY QUESTIONS..LOLOLOL..drums work also..good luck..j

He is using the parts off the A-body rearend he already has so he would have everything.

I actually don't have the brakes for either axle. The 8 1/4" I have is complete from the backing plates in, no brakes, no drums. I am told it was from an early 70's a body, are all 8 1/4" brakes the same?
The 8 3/4" has no backing plates or brakes. I do have another 8 1/4" from a Dodge Van, so my other option would be to use the gears and brakes from it as it has everything...would that be possible?

When I did the 7.25 to 8.75 swap in my '75 Scamp last year, I was able to use the backing plates from the 7.25 which were BBP since it was a front disc brake car. I did not have to modify them at all.

The 73 up cars with disc brakes got the BBP. They still used the 7.25 in /6 and 318 autos in those cars. So BBP 7.25s are pretty common. I just swapped all my 73 BBP 7.25 axle brake parts (except backing plates) over to my new 73 BBP 8.25 and it all went in exactly the same.

-
Back