will higher cranking amp battery hurt electrical components/system?

-

340wedge1971

Reaction score
I have a 73 swinger 318,my manual shows the factory battery had 375-400 cranking amps.I have a 1000 cold cranking amp battery that i have lying around,can i use this without damage to the electrical system or components?,I am also using a mini hi-torque starter.

Maybe. In some cases, if you leave a car sitting around and the battery goes down quite a bit, then starting and running it, expecting the alternator to charge it back up CAN overheat the alternator. Gets into stuff like "duty cycle."

In normal operation, not the case.

most people never run the suggested battery in there car especially if there engine has higher compression. a normal battery may not start in if you ever get into a situation. also if your ever looking at a new battery look at reserve capacity, that can save your butt if the alternator goes AWOL. but the 1000 CCA battery you have will work great. thats what we use in the plow truck, (cold weather= more power required to turn engine over)

most people never run the suggested battery in there car especially if there engine has higher compression. a normal battery may not start in if you ever get into a situation. also if your ever looking at a new battery look at reserve capacity, that can save your butt if the alternator goes AWOL. but the 1000 CCA battery you have will work great. thats what we use in the plow truck, (cold weather= more power required to turn engine over)

bingo! the thing that can get you into trouble are the 16v and 24v batteries...

as long as it is 12v the high the cca the better

-
Back