Will I devalue my snorkel hood scoop by painting it black?

-

MattP

Reaction score
My 72 snorkel scoop is in good condition, but it would look perfect with a little reconditioning. I'm thinking along the lines of sanding the imperfections out and adding a coat of satin black paint.

I see them for sale around and don't want to go through the trouble of the restoration if it's going to severely devalue the part.

It looks like it's made from black plastic and cleans up with a little detail spray.
I don't know if it's against the Mopar religion to paint these things or not.

Thanks for any input.

I suppose value is in the eye of the person willing to pay you for it... I would personally pay more for a reconditioned, smoothed out, color-matched dual snorkel rather than a choppy, faded, rough unit.

Just my $0.02.

I have an original OEM dual snorkel scoop going on my '73 Swinger and I personally plan to sand it down, smooth it out, and apply a nice semi-flat or flat black coat to it.

-Mike

Mine is painted gloss black to match the car's color. I don't think it's devalued. Maybe a purest would. JMO

I agree, I would make it look nicer. Do you plan on removing it and selling it? It would look cleaner on your car if it's painted.

Thanks guys. This makes it an easy decision. I'm going to take it off and clean it up for now. At some point I'll find someone to swap hoods with so I can go to the smooth hood without having to repair the mounting holes in this hood.

I just didn't want to devalue a part that I've seen sell for ~$250 in worse condition than this one is in.

-
Back