Will it fit?

-

monoptn

Mopar Aficianado
Reaction score
72 Demon, 360, Edelbrock air gap manifold, topped with a Edel. 750 carb and a Mopar performance breather. Will the hood close? Any suggestions for measuring to find out? I was told it would fit, but looking at it, I'm not so sure.

motorcomplete.JPG

i know mine is real real close, and i dont have the air gap. I have the Eddy Performer RPM. I think the air gap is taller. run a real low pro air filter.

-RPM

It looks like that air cleaner stud will leave a nice dimple in your hood. I'd take the stud out of the carb and then ever so slowly, lower the hood, keeping a close eye out for any interference or hood bulging.

I have cut off the stud to the top of the wingnut since the photo was taken! I will let it down very gently, however. I think I'll take the air cleaner off and shut it first, attempting to get a measurement.

I would just go with a dropped style base and keep the mopar lid, I think the engine compartment looks neater without the air cleaner sitting on the very top like an icecream cone topping:) Just my silly 2cents.

63dartman said:
I would just go with a dropped style base and keep the mopar lid, I think the engine compartment looks neater without the air cleaner sitting on the very top like an icecream cone topping:) Just my silly 2cents.

That air cleaner doesnt use a normal 14" filter though. Its closer to 13"

Take a piece of styrofoam packing, or cardboard, cut out to fit over the carb; jab a pencil through it so it sticks up beyond the height that the air cleaner would and place it on top of carb. Make sure it's not so long that it will poke too far in to the carb. Then close the hood. The hood will push the pencil down into the cardboard/styrofoam, raise the hood and measure from the bottom of the cardboard/styrofoam to the tip of the pencil that the hood pressed on. There's your clearance from the carb/air-cleaner mounting surface to the hood.

Redneck ingenuity at it's best!

Can anyone recommend a drop base air cleaner that I can get and use the mopar performance lid on? A brand and part number if possible.

Bluescrawler said:
Take a piece of styrofoam packing, or cardboard, cut out to fit over the carb; jab a pencil through it so it sticks up beyond the height that the air cleaner would and place it on top of carb. Make sure it's not so long that it will poke too far in to the carb. Then close the hood. The hood will push the pencil down into the cardboard/styrofoam, raise the hood and measure from the bottom of the cardboard/styrofoam to the tip of the pencil that the hood pressed on. There's your clearance from the carb/air-cleaner mounting surface to the hood.

Redneck ingenuity at it's best!

I like it :thumbup: Redneck ingenuity :toothy7:

Bump on the recommendation needed...anyone know of a drop base air cleaner that will work with the Mopar performance lid?

-
Back