will my 4 speed fit an 1983 318motor

-

ereru7

Reaction score
i bought a complete four speed set up out of a 72 challenger and have a low mile 318 i pulled out of an 83 diplomat and i want to put together. will it the trans bolt onto the 318?? thank you

The shifter mount on the ebody trans is to far back for an abody.

no im sorry im not putting it in the diplomat, i just wanted to know if it would bolt up to the 83 motor

The bell housing should bolt right up to the 318. The crank may be drill;ed it may not. If you do a search there should be info on her on what to do if your crank isnt drilled but I believe it involves cutting down the input shaft which is something I myself wouldnt do.

that sux! i hope not, its a low nile motor i dont want to butcher

go down to the local auto parts store and buy a pilot bushing for your year 318 take it home and see if it fits in the end of the crank if it does your good to go if not you will either have to do what adamr said although i agree with him that wouldnt be my choice or pull the crank out and have a machine shop machine out the crank for the pilot bushing hope this helps. Justin

So far I have found the 318 's to be drilled to take a 4 speed, not too sure about a 83 tho as I have never delt with one that new. And as Adam said, do not cut down the input shaft, you would only be asking for trouble. Had a 68 Charger some one did that on and i was for ever changing pilot bushings.

You do NOT need to cut your crank ... All you need is a "roller" Pilot bearing which just taps in the end of your crank and you can get at any Mopar shop or Mancini racing.com for $7.95.... part # is P 4876056A....
Good Luck
Dave at NW_CUDA

-
Back