Will these brakes fit a 65' Barracuda?

-

Hemioutlaw

Make America Great Again!
Reaction score
Member Jimacuda here is offering these brakes: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=286078

I am converting my 65' Barracuda over to the BBP and 7 1/4" to 8 3/4" and am wondering if this front and rear setup will work on my car. I don't know so I'm seeking the experts advice.

This car was originally a /6 but is now a 318. The original brakes and tin can master are still on the car.

Additional thoughts on using this setup ?

yes. I used M-body spindles on my 66. 73-76 A-body lower balljoints, and RMS tubular upper control arms, factory camber adjusting bolts, and E-body tie rod ends (mainly for price) the only thing to pay attention to is the 73-76 lower balljoint is a pass through on the two 5/8 bolts that bolt the balljoint to the spindle. im not sure on f-body spindles, but on M-bodys the bolts passed through the spindle and threaded into the balljoint piece. I used 5/8x18 grade 8 bolts with castellated nuts, drilled the bolts, and cotter pinned them. essentially sandwiching the balljoint to the spindle. if you are going to mount the calipers to the rear, use F-body brake lines. factory lower control arms work great. everything with my 66 sofar is hunky dory. the only thing I didn't see mentioned on any thread about this swap is the 73-76 balljoints have a nub cast into them, that butts up against the lower control arm for full lock left/right. my steering angle SUCKS now, because the 63-66 lower balljoints did not have this nub. I need to grind them off. other than that, id jump on it.

now, the original single pot master can be used......but I didn't. I managed to snag the proportioning valve from the 87 gran fury I parted out for my swap, so it was matched to the disc, 11x2.5 drum setup I am currently running. for a dual pot master I used a 74 charger MANUAL brake version, with the original push-rod from the single pot master. I have 1 inch pedal free play. perfect. I also re-did ALL the steel lines because mine were scary as all hell. that part is up to you, but I would highly recommend swapping out the single pot/brass tee for a dual pot prop valve setup. its safer in the end.

There has been much debate on that (FMJ) setup on a-bodies regarding the steering geometry. Do a search and read up. Some swear by it, others swear it is dangerous.

There has been much debate on that (FMJ) setup on a-bodies regarding the steering geometry. Do a search and read up. Some swear by it, others swear it is dangerous.

I took the gamble. no bump-steer, and no wandering for me. I have a feeling some of, not all, but some of the end results have to do with the alignment guy of choice. mine happened to be a 30+ year veteran at aligning all kinds of custom/one off pieces and goofy stuff. hes goooooood, and im pleased.

This is why I ask question's.
Hopefully others will chime in, as far as alignment guys go in my area that could stray from the norm I haven't been impressed.

-
Back