Will this Bell fit my car?

-

HotRod777

Reaction score
66 Dart. Currently I have a slant with a later model over-drive bell housing (5.125 register) and 833 that is running/ driving fine.
I’m considering eventually swapping in a small-block. I have 2 specific questions:

1) If I use the later model small block over-drive bell (casting # 3743859) with a 130 tooth, 10.5” fly, will it physically fit in my firewall/tunnel? (I know the 63-66’s are tighter then 67-up, just want to make sure I’m not in for a big disappointment)
2) I have a set of the 64-65 273 exhaust manifolds that I would use. The drivers side is the long one that pinches down and then turns the outlet to point straight back like a header. Does anyone know if the larger 10.5” bell housing interferes with that exhaust?

Also, I know I will likely have to fab/ alter the Z-bar, that’s not a problem. The possible clearance issues with the tunnel and exhaust is what I’m worried about.

Thanks for any & all insight!

I swapped a 70 340 Cuda engine, flywheel, clutch, and aluminum BH into my 64 Dart. I had to make a different bracket for the BH ball for the Z-bar, and I think I sawed off a non essential 'ear' that was sticking out of the BH. I made my own headers, and I ran the rt angle oil filter adapter. That's all I remember, I did this 46yrs ago.

It will physically fit. The only time I've ever heard about the pinch weld having to be flattnened, was when using the 727, BUT none of these cars are built the same, so you may encounter issues you'll have to wok around.

-
Back