Will this fuel tank work?

-

unclepunchy

Reaction score
I have a 73 Duster and am wondering if this tank would work? The only difference I see is the return line goes through the sender. These pics are of the 63-66 tank I am looking at.

CBA7263A-EA8D-4D7B-93C6-B5EA490A4385.jpeg

DDB810F1-2B38-4880-8DEA-E0EC5E7AEB23.jpeg

7607E9ED-AC64-4EA3-BA68-3A5234273B5A.jpeg

Don't know if it will fit or not. But 63 to 66 and 67 thru 76 are two different bodies. And there are differences on the 67 to 76 years as well

Gas tanks are all physically interchangeable from 63-76 in A bodies, but there are some differences as far as emissions and the like.

Early A ('66 and earlier) had the bottom stamped for a single crosswise (frame to frame) support strap. They also utilized a smaller fill tube.
'67 and later used two longitudinal support straps, and were stamped for such. They also used a larger diameter fill tube, and as noted, various differences through the years for venting, emission and return lines.
Without seeing the bottom of the tank or knowing the fill tube diameter, I can't tell you which one you're looking at. I can tell you that it has an aftermarket sending unit with a return line, which is not a problem functionally- but it will most likely have some issues giving a correct tank level reading. The addition of a return line isn't a bad idea, especially with today's ethanol-heavy fuels; the only additions you'll need to make for it are adding the line itself, and a later (late '70s ish) fuel filter with 3 ports- it keeps cool fuel circulating and helps avoid vapor lock.
You'll also need to keep an eye on the sending unit lock ring and gasket. Aftermarket ones are notoriously thin and prone to leakage.

Early A ('66 and earlier) had the bottom stamped for a single crosswise (frame to frame) support strap. They also utilized a smaller fill tube.
'67 and later used two longitudinal support straps, and were stamped for such. They also used a larger diameter fill tube, and as noted, various differences through the years for venting, emission and return lines.
Without seeing the bottom of the tank or knowing the fill tube diameter, I can't tell you which one you're looking at. I can tell you that it has an aftermarket sending unit with a return line, which is not a problem functionally- but it will most likely have some issues giving a correct tank level reading. The addition of a return line isn't a bad idea, especially with today's ethanol-heavy fuels; the only additions you'll need to make for it are adding the line itself, and a later (late '70s ish) fuel filter with 3 ports- it keeps cool fuel circulating and helps avoid vapor lock.
You'll also need to keep an eye on the sending unit lock ring and gasket. Aftermarket ones are notoriously thin and prone to leakage.
67 uses a single strap too just to clarify

-
Back