Willy T Ribbs documentary

-
He didn't just break color barriers. That guy was a butt kickin driver in his day. I always pulled for him when I caught a race he was in.

I grew up in San Jose thru the ‘60’s up to around 1990. I crewed for a team based in Santa Clara who ran events in IMSA and SCCA Trans Am in the early ‘80’s. I remember seeing Willy in the pits in some of the events.
upload_2020-1-22_22-44-49.jpeg

He was a good looking young man, was brash and had attitude. Big attitude. He was billed as the “Muhammad Ali of Auto Racing.” He didn’t flaunt that he was a victim of racism, but stated it in a way that he was disadvantaged because of his color. He seized the opportunity to get into the public eye, as he should have, in the newspapers and interviews. Like the story goes, he never got a fair shake. But when you get to that upper league of talent, it’s hard to get the “best” ride.

Still, he had some good rides. He had Budweiser sponsorship in a two car Camaro team with legend and F1 personality David Hobbs, and later, a Ford/Motorcraft Mustang ride with a young owner named Jack Roush. He was a good, fast driver.
upload_2020-1-22_22-46-48.jpeg

I was rooting for him to succeed, because he was a Bay Area local and he was an underdog. But in the end, I think his attitude might have worked against him to become more mainstream.

I thought he was great in Trans Am, as good or better than Tommy Kendall.
At Indy he seemed to have gotten more than the usual crap a rookie gets.
I’m looking forward to watching this.

I grew up watching road racing and one of the best race tracks in America. I got to watch imsa gtp cars and indy cars and some of the best drivers back when racing was racing... Mario Andretti, Michael Andretti, Rick Mears, AL Unser, Bobby Rahal, Nigel Mansell, Geoff Brabham, and Willy t.... Cool times.

Recently my uncle bought Scott Pruetts camel lights gtp car that raced at the 24 hours of Daytona.

Attach97544_20190909_124249.jpg

Attach97543_20190909_124249.jpg

I grew up watching road racing and one of the best race tracks in America. I got to watch imsa gtp cars and indy cars and some of the best drivers back when racing was racing... Mario Andretti, Michael Andretti, Rick Mears, AL Unser, Bobby Rahal, Nigel Mansell, Geoff Brabham, and Willy t.... Cool times.

Recently my uncle bought Scott Pruetts camel lights gtp car that raced at the 24 hours of Daytona.

View attachment 1715457768

View attachment 1715457769

Now that's right up your alley.

Good thread, makes me think of other great black racers from way back, Wendell Scott, Stone,Woods and Cook.

-
Back