Wilwood drum spindle disc

-

a2000rt2

Reaction score
Are the 9 in drum spindles strong enough to handle a 360 with the Wilwood 140-11022 disc kit or should I find a set of 10"drum spindles?

thanks

On top of being stronger the bearings are bigger on the 10 inch spindles. That would be the main reason I would use them over the 9 inch spindles.

Call Wilwood and ask them, they are fairly knowledgeable (805) 388-1188. If they can't conclusively tell you call Ron Sutton at Sutton Racing Technology (916) 834-8051 . He'll know and can sell you the kit if you haven't already purchased it for less than you can get it elsewhere.

are the wildwood 4 piston calipers worth the extra $300 dollars over a factory 73+ disc swap, this will be used as a street strip setup. Currently has 9inch drums, so I at least want to upgrade to the 10" spindles in the process. I live in the mountains and want something that will last and be safe in this case also, but not go overboard as I could use the money other places also.

As I stated earlier, the bearings are the biggest issue to me. The inner bearing on the 9" spindles is pretty small compared to the 10" spindle.

I like the 73-up spindles with the 11" rotors for a street strip car.
you can get the caliper brackets from dr diff to run the 11" discs on an a body spindle cheap.

73 up spindles will increase your track width though. Id stick with the spindles you have and just get the wilwood kit. That is what is on the front of my Demon with a 340. It sees street and strip

The 73+ brakes are plenty for a street/strip set up. I run the stock 73+ calipers on the later 11.75" B/R body rotors and they work great. The lower ball joint is also a weak spot with the 9" drum spindles.

As far as the track width goes, if you're already switching from SBP to BBP you're buying new wheels anyway, and it's easy enough to get rims with a little more backspacing to account for the wider 73+ track width. It's only like 5/16" anyway. I ran 225/60/15's on my Duster with stock 15x7 cop rims, which have a 4.25" backspace. If you stay with 15" rims you can't go much bigger than that in the front anyway because there aren't any tires wider than that in a profile that will give you a suitable tire height in the front. A 235/60/15 is pretty much the top end of what you can do with a 15" rim in the front, 245/60/15's are too tall and good luck finding a 245 in a shorter profile. And of course if you're going to 17 or 18" rims the additional track width is actually a bonus as most 17/18" rims have more backspacing to begin with.

You also might want to check on the Wilwood calipers. I think most of their kits have piston dust seals on them now, but the older wilwood calipers didn't have any kind of dust seal on them. Not a problem for a track car, but for a regular street car it probably isn't the greatest idea.

When it comes time to change out the pads you'll like that you went with Wilwood.

Why is that again?

The cheapest semi-metallic pads you can get for the wilwood's are over $40. A set of semi-metallics for the 73+ calipers is $15.

And if you get into high performance brake pads, the prices are pretty much the same.

Wilwood:

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakePads/BrakePadsList.aspx?padtype=7112

73+ mopar:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1974/make/plymouth/model/duster/department/brake-systems/part-type/brake-pads?N=4294950312%2B4294951330%2B4294947952%2B4294947838%2B4294943326&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

True, there are probably more options for the Wilwood's, but for a street car it's not really going to matter that much. And there are more options out there for the 73+ pads, I just listed what Summit shows.

And if you're talking about actual removal/installation, the 73+ pads are super easy to change. I don't see how you could make it any easier. Different sure, but not easier.

Thanks,
that's the kind of info I was looking for, looks ill just go with the 73+ and use the other money to go into rear coilovers and a 4 link.

-
Back