Wilwood dynalite front drag race brake question

-

Duane

Reaction score
Gonna put a set on the front of my dart. Can anyone tell me if the drilled rotor option is worth the extra coin. Obviously somewhat lighter but are we into the law of diminishing returns with this option.

Duane

Thanks for any replies

Duane, just couple quick questions, for me and maybe some others?

I assume being in the "racers" section that this car see's little or no street use. And, what's the difference in cost for the solid/drilled on the kit you're looking at?

Vented is all thats important to eliminated warping on hard braking. Drilled helps kick the dust when applied said braking. I didnt opt for the drilled for mine but its a replacement part you can get later if you want or vise versa. Part numbers are included in the parts list/instructions for both. The rotor screws into the hub so you can replace without hub replacement on a wilwood brake assembly.

Vented is all thats important to eliminated warping on hard braking. Drilled helps kick the dust when applied said braking. I didnt opt for the drilled for mine but its a replacement part you can get later if you want or vise versa. Part numbers are included in the parts list/instructions for both. The rotor screws into the hub so you can replace without hub replacement on a wilwood brake assembly.

So you are saying that the drilled option is not really for weight savings?

I would consider not really a weight saving but better brake responsiveness. The weight between the two cross drilled and slotted vs the solid one isn't that much, you gets a better brake due to what turbofreek stated.

Well if you look at the weight of the two kits I believe that last time I looked you save 9 lbs a side with the slotted not drilled slotted,They list the weights In Jegs I believe or summit,It might nit be that much but it is a bunch of weight difference,We went slotted and got them from Dr.Diff (Case) he had the best price at the time and is a great guy to deal with --Steve

There is not a weight saging from the standard rotor to the drilled and slotted rotor. Its minimal at best. Id say 1 pound total for all 4 wheels but thats really stretching it.

There is a difference from the vented to the solid rotor drag style they call it. The vented wont heat up like the drag rotor. It also wont warp like the drag rotors do if they get to hot(think short shut down or panic braking). After that the only difference is slight dust dissipation during a breaking event of dust allowing an ounce of better break application.

So the solid rotors vs the vented rotors are a bit different. One is a 1/4 thick ish and the other vented rotor is about 1/2" thick which has vents between surface contact area to keep the rotor cooler during applied brake forces.

Just get the solid one. I put mine on in 2004 and still have not touched the rotors or the pads. Its a race car and only sees street duty when I go to the car show down the street.

Gonna put a set on the front of my dart. Can anyone tell me if the drilled rotor option is worth the extra coin. Obviously somewhat lighter but are we into the law of diminishing returns with this option.

Duane

Thanks for any replies

IMO yes. Remember this is unsprung weight. And it's rotational mass. And..it looks way cooler...

Attachments

• 10247442_10204960777208567_5789213035223384309_n.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 109
-
Back