Wilwood M/C recommendation. Bore size.

-

340Duster247

Reaction score
Hey guys I already have a wilwood front disk kit on my 71 duster with 10” rear drums. I’m running manual brakes. I would like to upgrade my master cylinder and curious what bore size is a good choice with this set up.
Thanks

Several months ago I talked to "Jeff" at Wilwood about my 65 valiant, manual brakes, 9" rear drum with Willwood disk conversion in front. He suggested 15/16" or 1". I have not yet ordered up the parts or done the job, though. FWIW, you can call Willwood and ask them their opinion on your setup. Based on the above responses I'm wondering if I should consider 7/8! I guess it all depends if I would run out of Travel. From my notes: he expected the pads to only move about 1/16 of an inch....

Do you like power brakes? 7/8 will feel like power brakes. YOu want to push hard as hell to get your car to stop? Get a large piston size.

Poor mans power brakes, 7/8 master

[QUOTE="roccodart440, post: Poor mans power brakes, 7/8 master[/QUOTE]
Exactly. The bottom line: if you guys are using 7/8" and are not running out of travel, then 7/8 is probably a very good choice!

I thought 15/16’s was the go to for manual brakes.

I thought 15/16’s was the go to for manual brakes.

The go to is what works and works the way you like.

Bill Reilly set me up with my 7/8 willwood master and I'd never go larger. Nice pedal feel and easy to stop. I used to use 2 feet on the pedal with my old master.

-
Back