Wilwood Question

-

ermarccio

Reaction score
Wilwood has a front disc conversion kit for my '68 Barracuda with 10" drum spindles. This kit will move the wheels out .20" which I'd like to avoid if possible. They also offer a kit for '76 Dodge Darts with disc brake spindles that will not change the wheel location. Does anyone know if that's because the '76 Dart with disc brakes wheel location is .20" wider than my '68 Barracuda's? Or is it simply how Wilwood had to design their kit to work with 10" drum spindles?

I'm hopeful to keep my current wheel location by using '76 disc brake spidles and upper control arms with the Wilwood kit for the '76 Dart.

Just did this and its more like .750 on each side. So bad that I had to have a custom set of hubs made and that aint cheap.

Stay away if at all possible.

From what I have been told here you can do disc brakes with a stock setup and it will fit perfect.

I'd call RMS and inquire about this. I noticed no difference when I went from drum to disc on my 69.

Attachments

• 10247442_10204960777208567_5789213035223384309_n.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 210
Your tires have tons of clearance below the wheel lip that's why. Try dropping your car down a couple inches and see what happens. I am running an RMS system on my other car and have the same track width issues. It stems from these designs being based on 73 up track width. Bill will tell you himself that it will increase the track width.

Look at your car from behind. Are the front tires sitting out further than the rears? Unless your running some skinny wheels up front with high backspacing....say a 15 x 5 with 4" bs your track width will increase.

Your tires have tons of clearance below the wheel lip that's why. Try dropping your car down a couple inches and see what happens. I am running an RMS system on my other car and have the same track width issues. It stems from these designs being based on 73 up track width. Bill will tell you himself that it will increase the track width.

Look at your car from behind. Are the front tires sitting out further than the rears? Unless your running some skinny wheels up front with high backspacing....say a 15 x 5 with 4" bs your track width will increase.

If the front sat any lower I'd be blowing sparks off my pan. Actually that car sits pretty low at least when parked next to other A-bodies.

I am running 26x7.50's in front. I forgot rim size. Rear is 28x12.50 on 15x11.25's with 3.5" backspace. I'll have to check front to rear track width now you have me interested.

Oh, another thing. Not sure if it matters but I used 69 drum spindles with the wildwood conversion kit with RMS uppers and QA1 lowers. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I am using the MagnumFarce dropped spindles with the WILNOTWORK brake package.

Wanna see how you fix the problem with 72 and older A bodies?

Don't ask WILTURD for help. They don't have time for old A bodies.

Here is the solution.....pretty obvious to see I gained back the 3/4" on each side without any issues of rubbing on the back side.

Just got back from a test drive since I just got the hubs finished and they work perfectly in all driving conditions diving into tight corners both up and down hills and left and right.

ZERO RUB!

I'm going to drop it another 1/2" or so and try again. The K frame is getting a bit closer to the ground than I like but it looks so good I'll just be careful.

Attachments

• 100_5419.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 100_5420.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 100_5421.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_5422.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 229
Nice machine work. Car looks sweet too. I won't be dropping mine like that though.

Any idea what the Magnum Force track width is with the drop spindles? I've recently learned that our cars had 57.x" front track widths, but the '73 and up disc track width is 2 inches wider.

You just answered your question.

73 and up will be 1.5 + wider.

All the drop spindles are designed after the 73 up setup so you use large ball joint 73 up upper A arms/aftermarket tube arms and that combination sets you out to far. The lowers were the same for all the a bodies. Change was to the spindle in 73.

And if your not dropping your car like mine then there is no need for a dropped spindle. You can lower your car a bit by adjusting your torsion bars.

So...it sounds as though the Wilwood conversion on my '68 spindles will not change my track width any more than converting to a '73 up kit such as one offered by Dr. Diff. Anyone agree with that?

-
Back