Wilwood rear brake kit 7144 fit 15" draglites?

-

zoltan c

65Fish
Reaction score
I'm about to order the rear brake kit for my 8 3/4 housing from Wilwood but I don't know if it will clear my 15" Weld draglite wheels. Anyone who has this kit if you could let me know it would be great. The part number is 140-7144 and it is the pro series kit with 12.19" rotors and a parking brake. I need the brake kit in hand before I can get my housing narrowed. The diagram from Wilwood shows that you need 14.2" inside the rim and a 1/4" from the face of the wheel mounting surface. I measured inside the rim and there is about 14.5" diameter inside the rim but I want to be sure before I order online and have to send the stuff back. Also the rim tapers in towards the hub where there is less inside diameter. So I'm unsure about the fit. Please help!

zoltan, those are the brakes I have on the back on my car. If you can wait untill sun night I'll try and see if a 15 rim goes over the caliper without rubbing and take a picture for you.
Maybe someone else on here has those brakes and can try a 15" rim on the wilwood disc setup for you before then.

zoltan I took some pics for you but I didn't have the drag lights in the garage, they must be at the kids place, his are 15 X 8, I also have some 15 x 15 but would have been a real hassel getting them off the Dutser). I tried a 15 x 7 ralley and it cleared no problem. I also tried 15 x 8 old keystone classics, the spokes were close as the spokes are flush with the mounting area. But they still cleared the callipers. There was about 3/8 clearence all round the caliper.

rim151.jpg

rim152.jpg

rim153.jpg

Thanks Keith Mopar, I also sent an email to Wilwood to see if the Weld draglites will clear and they said no. Hearing from you now it makes me wonder if they will fit? I also have been looking at alternatives. There is SSBC, their kit is expensive $740 and it is a single piston caliper, but it has the parking brake. MP is even more expensive something around a grand. Summit now makes a vented rotor single piston caliper with integral parking brake for $500. There is also a kit that uses GM rear brake calipers from 79-85 Eldorado which can be bought locally. The kit contains the adapters and the rotors for $270. The company is called TSM MFG Co.
I still like the Wilwood kit the best, they are the only one with a parking brake and 4 piston calipers.
If you can get you hands on those Weld draglites and check for me I would have to come and visit and buy you a few beers! I am going on a motorcycle trip this July.
Thanks again.
Wilwood also said that they are working on a smaller kit to check back with them in about 6 months. Just to let others know in case they are having the same dilemma as me.

I'm assuming this is all for a 5X4.5" pattern and not the 5X4"?

If you looking for alternatives to the wildwood set up. You could try the Scarebird adapters. I have a set and am going to install them soon just need to clean my pumkin and then I'll be installing them. Hopefully this coming week. It uses 79-85 Eldorado calipers and Lincoln vented rotors. The reason the Eldorado calipers are used it that it has the parking brake built into the caliper, all one unit. That's is what SSBC uses as well as others. These calipers are also popular among hotrodders because of the parking unit.

Here is the link for TSM MFG co http://www.tsmmfg.com/2160.htm . I don't know what rotors they use.

My front disc kit from Wilwood is drilled for both bolt patterns. 4 & 4.5
Jeff

Jeff mine are drilled for 4.5 and 4.75 patterns. The Dodge and Chev pattern. I have inclded a pic before I bolted them onto the Cuda.

Hey I've made mistakes before though!!

frnt disc.jpg

Keith sent you a PM. Jeff

I used this set up. I ended up going with Jeggs wheels, all the other wheels did not have to much clearance. You have to remember that aluminum wheels are not the same size inside as a steel wheel. I also had to use a spacer to clear the outside of the calibers from the inside of the wheels facing you as you look at them.

16.jpg

I made a cardboard template that is 14.2" in diameter and it only fits inside my 15X8 Weld draglite with 4.25 BS wheel by about a 1/4 of an inch and from there the wheel tapers narrower towards the mounting hub. As I mentioned before Wilwood also said it won't fit. I have decided to order Summit's own kit which is very similar to the SSBC kit. The kit from Summit is on backorder, of course! Now I'm waiting...

Thanks for all the help from FABO members.

-
Back