Windage Tray Vertical Position with ARP Stud Kit

-

earlymopar

Reaction score
It seems from what I've read here and elsewhere that most builders end up with their Mopar small block windage trays positioned so that the curved edges on the sides of the tray just touch the pan rails. I'm using the ARP Stud Kit and the curved edges of my tray are roughly 3/8" off of the pan rails. This is without the lower nuts on the ARP studs (that fit under the windage tray). Just to get a feel for the position of the tray, I just slipped on hardened washers that butt up against the step in the ARP stud (the stud is 3/8"-24 on the top for mounting the tray and is 1/2 on the bottom for the main cap stud).

Just curious what others have found with this (#240-5501) stud kit and if you had to forgo the lower nuts on the studs. Using the lower nuts places the tray even higher and interferes alot more with the oil pump pick up tube. Thanks for your feedback. I'll apologize in advance that I'm not able to be on the site much during the day.

Studs.JPG

That’s not really telling us much. Post pics so we can see what u did. It will probably help other members with their rides. Kim

Is used that kit and with a 4" stroker crank just took the bottom nuts all the way down and installed tray and installed other set and tightened, checked clearance and had plenty. If your using a milodon pan I did have to clearance the stud in the back farthest from picl up tube. I installed and it dented the pan before I ground down the end to the base of the allen hole.

20190302_150845.jpg

Thanks Matts for your explanation (and your picture which is better than what I can provide). That is exactly what I did with mine except where you used "lower or bottom nuts", I used sleeves that butted up against the main cap nuts. Then I added the tray and the top nuts. The result is the same as yours.

Thanks Matts for your explanation (and your picture which is better than what I can provide). That is exactly what I did with mine except where you used "lower or bottom nuts", I used sleeves that butted up against the main cap nuts. Then I added the tray and the top nuts. The result is the same as yours.
Cool, either way works, as long as the clearance is there that's all that matters.

-
Back