Windage tray with ARP

-

MoparMark91

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question on my 340 build i have the arp windage tray main stud kit.

Question is when installing does the tray go on the studs and then torque down the nuts provided?

Or do i put nuts upside down on studs then put the tray on then another set of nuts
But then it hits the pickuo like it sits to high

For some reason they send 8 flanged nuts with no directions

Also how close should it hug the block?

The ARP instructions don't show mounting the mopar tray. They show chevy using nut, tray then nut.
Call them and ask.

The ARP instructions don't show mounting the mopar tray. They show chevy using nut, tray then nut.
Call them and ask.
Yeah ill have to but willing to bet they wont he much help...has anyone ran those arp studs with a windage tray?

Wow, This stud kit drove me nuts. What windage tray are you using?
What oil pan are you using? And also what oil pump are you using?
These are real questions. Don't waste your time calling ARP

Yes I used the arp studs with my milodon tray, just torqued down the stud then nut, tray and then nut, adjust height as needed.

I had to trim one stud because it hit the oil pan. The pan is a Milodon.
Also on rear main I used ARP 12 point bolts with out washers for oil pump clearance and still had to grind some off the pump housing.
ARP bolt kit # 627-3500 these are 3 1/2" long. if you want 3 1/4 long like the oem bolts get #627-3250. you also will not need 5 of the windage tray bolts, only 4. Going to have to drill the 4 holes in a Mopar tray.

Wow, This stud kit drove me nuts. What windage tray are you using?
What oil pan are you using? And also what oil pump are you using?
These are real questions. Don't waste your time calling ARP
Melling high-volume oil pump stock pan, stock oil pan
So like in this picture you had those flange nuts oriented that way? With the tray in between them? Just using this picture as example for the flange nuts

81150.png

I had to trim one stud because it hit the oil pan. The pan is a Milodon.
Also on rear main I used ARP 12 point bolts with out washers for oil pump clearance and still had to grind some off the pump housing.
ARP bolt kit # 627-3500 these are 3 1/2" long. if you want 3 1/4 long like the oem bolts get #627-3250. you also will not need 5 of the windage tray bolts, only 4. Going to have to drill the 4 holes in a Mopar tray.

Oh yeah thanks for mentioning that, forgot I had to trim the stud too, passenger rear stud.

The photo of the nuts IS CORRECT in post #14
These nuts are serrated so when adjusting the height of the tray do not tighten very much because you do not want any metal shavings. Also on the "final" assembly I used red Loctite on the tray nuts.

You will end up modifying the tray. Look how far I cut mine out. SOOOOO damn far that I put a brace in it. You can see the weld marks. It is a Milodon tray. You have also not mentioned the rear main. Check it out, it is a big deal.

100_9330.JPG

You will end up modifying the tray. Look how far I cut mine out. SOOOOO damn far that I put a brace in it. You can see the weld marks. It is a Milodon tray. You have also not mentioned the rear main. Check it out, it is a big deal.

View attachment 1715374029
So if i use those nuts on each side it does set it pretty high and causes issues with pickup tube. Do you have a picture from the side?

First off, you MUST use a nut on each side of the windage tray. Both sides. Installing these studs is a pain in the ***.
Remember one of my post said mock assembly. You can do a mock assembly many times and you should. I will help you all I can but I go to sleep early. (old dude) Well not this early, but.....
OK now you got a photo of my tray but remember it is a Milodon. The same rules apply to a Mopar tray.

100_9281 (1).JPG

And notice I have BOLTS yes ARP bolts on the rear main cap. You have not yet answered my questions about your oil pump clearance.

-
Back