Window regulator came apart yesterday on me...

-

Noizemaker

Reaction score
how do I reassemble? I can't see crap in the door, would be really useful if someone here has a diagram of how it should work. I've seen pics online from ebay auctions of the part, but can't seem to make it make sense with the parts i've seen in the bottom of my door. Anyone have a shop manual etc with a diagram they can snap a pic of real quick?

Car's a 64 Valiant hardtop, the window is stuck down in the bottom of the door. Crank doesn't turn. In the bottom of the door i found about a 4-5" long piece of metal with clips and a hole in it, I presume it used to clip through the center of the glass or similar using the round piece of plastic that seems to clip through it. I just can't figure out how it all goes back together, nor can i get the window trim at the top of the door off to get a better eyeball down into the door assembly!

thoughts, ideas, stories?

. Matt , It would help if you get a shop manual for your year. Some are kinda lame but it gives you an idea of what your looking at. I don't know if yours is like mine a 68 Dart but your winow felts should pop out. There just clips. Pull your side panel off so you can see inside. Window regulator should be a scissor affair. Bottom edge of glass sets in a channel and is held inplace by plastic clips. Sounds like the hole regulator broke. if the other door is good you can get an idea from it. Try early A bodies on here or search for an old thread. Keep us posted on progress.

. Matt , It would help if you get a shop manual for your year. Some are kinda lame but it gives you an idea of what your looking at. I don't know if yours is like mine a 68 Dart but your winow felts should pop out. There just clips. Pull your side panel off so you can see inside. Window regulator should be a scissor affair. Bottom edge of glass sets in a channel and is held inplace by plastic clips. Sounds like the hole regulator broke. if the other door is good you can get an idea from it. Try early A bodies on here or search for an old thread. Keep us posted on progress.

Yeah it would. Problem is I don't know what's good out there. I don't trust Haynes/Chilton for nothin'... and i don't think mopar still makes a full Factory Service Manual like i have for my Neon, do they?

Regardless, i had the door panel off but couldn't see anything before. When I didn't have any answers, i played contortionist tonight and got an idea for what was up.

Basically, the front pin was missing it's clip, and it popped out of place. When it went, it took the rear bracket right off it's track. I reassembled, and put the pin back through the glass up front.

Unfortunately i'm now shopping window felts as mine didn't wanna cooperate and unclip and fell victim to the screwdriver. The doorpanel is off until the new clip arrives to get the front pin permanently through the glass again. :) I was going to windo-weld the back guide to the glass, but it doesn't seem such a good option with how much you have to force it into place. Until that white plastic pin goes again, I don't think t'll move.

Windows are a *****. I was so frustrated with my drivers 1/4 window I couldn't see straight. The old felts are hard to get out without damaging but its well worth the money to replace them. As far as manuals go i went on line and found a Dodge service manual 2 volume that covers Charger, Coronet and Dart. It was about $80 bucks and is complete from electrical to trim. Some things are vague and the pictures could be better and other things are really detailed. These manuals are published by Faxon auto literature. Also you have a couple of shops in your area if you want to stop in and ask questions. Hope this helps.

-
Back