Window regulators...dangerous

-

cudaragtop

Reaction score
I decided it install the stripping on the vert last weekend. To lower the glass and install the stripping the pin holding the metal part on the glass on the right door came out and I was able to lower the glass enough to install the stripping. The left door proved to be much more difficult. I was unable to remove the pin and I didn't want to chance breaking the glass. I decided to unblolt the regulator and allow the glass to move lower to finish installing the stripping. When I took the 2nd bolt out the regulator cocked in he hole and it wasn't due to the weight of the glass. When I tried to remove the 3rd bolt the regulator really jambed in the hole and the bolt was hard to remove. I got a very un-nerving feeling that I better not stick my hand in side the door to assist removing the regulator. I used a screwdriver and hammer to push the regulator out of the hole. When it came out of the hole .....KA- BLAMM! The regulator unwound itself. Sounded like a bomb going off. If I had my hand inside the door I would have lost at least a finger or maybe even a hand. That thing has a spring capable of guillotining anything in the way. Seems that inside the gear where the window crank bolts on is a brake. It uses a coiled spring around 2 peices of semi horseshoe shaped metal. If they get rusty or in my case the grease dried out then that brake no longer works. You won't know it until you try the take things loose and it will hurt ya. Be careful with this old stuff. Trust your gut as I did.
Nice thing I found out was that a regulator wasn't hard to find as I thought. A good friend has some old A bodies so I went looking. He was a bit reluctant to part out a good regulator from a 2dr hardtop type car and I don't blame him. I thought maybe I could drill rivits from a regulator from a 4 door and install a different gear and brake on my 2 dr regulator. I found a regulator laying in the bottom of the left door on a 4 dr 74 Dart. I found out it is the same regulator as my 67 convertible although it does have a different part # on it. All I know is it worked and bolted on.
One problem now is the stripping is way too tight It is very hard to roll the window up or down, but I did but the cheaper stuff. I guess you get what you pay for.

-
Back