Window Rubber

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I am not sure what to call what i am looking for but metro moulding does not carry them. What I need is the rubber "wiper" looking pieces for a 65 Barracuda that the window comes through when you roll it up. They are meant to keep the water out of the door panels. Can anyone help me with this or even tell me what to call them so I can try and search for them?

No those I got from bishop racing/metro moulding. What I need is the rubber seal that the window comes th rough. If you look at a recent car there is the piece as shown above and then a rubber "wiper" like piece inside and out that prevents water running down the window to seep through the space.

I found a picture of what I am looking for. If you look where the window meets the door there is a rubber strip that is what I am trying to find.
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2008/08/340x_65BarracudaWht_Interior.jpg

I cannot think of the piece you are needing, and the pic is too small to make out any detail.
Newer cars do use a rubber strip instead of the cat's wisker, but our old cars do not. Water does go into the door cavity (even on new cars) - the water and debris helps them to rust out quicker this way!
C

Hello there! I am in need of the same "isolation rubber". 8) It is for my 63 valiant 4dr. This pic shows what I need, I marked it in red:
100_2009_m.jpg

Each door must have two parts of it, outside and inside, in middle the window. Acctually mine is not made of rubber, but some kind of "sponge"-material, starting crumbling - seems not to be the factory-fitting. So any idea which is the correct replacement and where to get it? And what is the English term for it? Thx in advance

clhyer is right; our old A-bodies did not have the now-common rubber lip seals for the glass-to-door junction. We have cat whisker strips. I get them reliably and cost-effectively from Restoration Specialties. See here for more discussion of parts sources for early A-body stuff like this.

(Painsinner: this applies to North American-, Australian-, and South African-built A-bodies. It is between "possible" and "likely" the Dutch- and Swiss-built cars got different window-to-door seals, but it is also likely the American/Australian/RSA items will fit and work in your '63 despite not being the same as the original equipment.)

painsinner - the window felts (or cat's wiskers) get pretty hard, brittle and crumbly by 40 years of age, it's possible that you have what the rest of us have. Not sure what you mean by "not factory-fitting". Order up a set and see if they don't fix you up.
C

Can anyone suggest a way to remove the old ones? I took a screw driver and started to try and they seemed to just chip off on the inside on. The outside was totally gone.

Get a cheap set of picks from Harbour Freight, or somewhere. I bought mine for about 5 bucks. They come in a set of 5 or 6 and have different angled bends at the bottom with screw driver style handles. With the window down take a small flat screwdriver or putty knife and pry between the body and trim to see the location of clip. Use the angled picks to get behind the clip to release the tab. You can pry with the putty knife against the trim to spread the clip then grab the trim with both hands and work it back and fourth with a little downward and upward preasure till it slides up. Just keep your thumb and other fingers away from the line of fire when using the picks or wear gloves, puncture wounds hurt and tetnus shots suck.

-
Back