Windshield code of fender tag?

-

rftroy

Reaction score
For a 1968 Barracuda, is the windshield coded (clear or tinted) on the fender tag?
Robert

Yes. Think so as 69 is surely.

The glass is not coded on the fender tag, but would be in the buildsheet, and would include the windshield. I do believe that all fronts are the same tint tho, with the 20% tint on the top being the rule.

I know you only asked for the 68 windshield, so here you go-
year/codes/glass
66-68 521 tinted all windows
66-68 522 tinted windshield only
66-68 523 clear all windows w/ac

Not to good at reading 68 tags but can look it up. 69 tags are much easier to decipher.

I know you only asked for the 68 windshield, so here you go-
year/codes/glass
66-68 521 tinted all windows
66-68 522 tinted windshield only
66-68 523 clear all windows w/ac

That seems odd as I would expect AC cars to be full tint. The nice green variety.

According to my little white book the 1968 fender tag left to right row 4&5 the X is for glass. If I'm reading it right....

Go to Mymopar.com or stockmopar.com and load in your numbers.

My 69 tag has the code G11 which is all tint.

Attachments

• Mopar codes.pdf
    389.9 KB · Views: 136
According to my little white book the 1968 fender tag left to right row 4&5 the X is for glass. If I'm reading it right....

That's what I'm starting to think. I did some more searching after I posted. I have a fastback that has a 1 under the X on the fender tag. On this website: 1967-1968 Mopar Fender Tag Decoder, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth That shows as Tinted Glass (All). I am assuming that if there is nothing under the X, then the car had clear glass as standard
Robert.

That's what I'm starting to think. I did some more searching after I posted. I have a fastback that has a 1 under the X on the fender tag. On this website: 1967-1968 Mopar Fender Tag Decoder, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth That shows as Tinted Glass (All). I am assuming that if there is nothing under the X, then the car had clear glass as standard
Robert.

That makes sense with the x line reading nothing or 1,2 or 3. What does not make sense is 3 being all clear on an A/C car.

Last edited:
Well after looking at the codes posted for 69 up, G18 and G21 were both A/C options with clear. I had always assumed A/C cars were tinted. Seems all I have owned previously including a 68 notch that were original A/C cars were fully tinted.

Well after looking at the codes posted for 69 up, G18 and G21 were both A/C options with clear. I had always assumed A/C cars were tinted. Seems all I have owned previously including a 68 notch that were original A/C cars were fully tinted.
I worked(heat treat controller on the glass furnaces for 30+ years. ) for Chryslers @ McGraw glass plant and have ran most of the 1967-2003 and up glass. According to our charts and as far as I know 99% of all middle and top of the line models + A/C equipped cars had tinted glass. Only on special orders were clear glass installed. We would run a clear batch(1000 pieces per glass, each of the 2 or 4 sidelights,backlight and windshield) every 9 months , the rest of the time it was tinted glass. Low end stripped down cars sometime got tint since they(clear glass) were in such low demand. Now that didn't mean you couldn't get A/C with clear glass, but you DID have to special order it.

-
Back