Windshield installation

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
Should I be using an adhesive when installing my windshield? or just rely on the rubber to leak and hold glass into car if in an accident?

Depends on the Fence and how straight. My glass guy did not use any and said the fences were perfect. No issues yet after 6 years.

Sorry if I'm uniformed but what are the fences you are referring to? I am getting ready to install my windshield and wondered if and how much sealant to use also. Thanks

Original windshield or repro? Some of the repros are thinner glass than OEM, and on those the glass guys like to run a light bead of butyl in the glass channel of the seal to make sure they stay watertight. If factory glass, it's generally not needed (but would suppose it doesn't hurt).

Fences are the metal from the body seams the gasket connects to, "slips" around and surrounds. I went to an new AMD tinted "greenish" as original as the one I pulled out was brownish in color and not correct it had sealer goop all over. Apparently it had been replaced at some time. Gaskets are not all equal as well.

But!

The car had been through complete cleaning/ blasting and new paint Restoration! Hence perfect fences. I suggest finding a local glass guy for some input.

Thanks for the information. Our glass guy (small community) doesn't want any of the old stuff so I am having to attempt it myself. With the factory manual and from A bodies forum I think I'll be able to get through it.

-
Back