Windshield Installation

-

dodgedart1968

Reaction score
I just removed the windshield on my '68 four-door Dart. The windshield gasket appears to be dry mounted on a flange at the top and sides of the windshield. There is no flange at the bottom edge, however, and there appears to be the remnant of sealant.

Is sealant used only at the bottom portion of the new gasket, and if so, what sealant is used, and which gasket surfaces are sealed?

Already at least 2 threads going right now on windshield install. Factory service manual shows you exactly how to install and where to seal (which is across the bottom and up the sides about 6" and nothing else). Doesn't hurt to go all the way around. Proper sealant is Butyl 3M x 8509 available at NAPA.
beerestoration2017 1478.JPG

Here's the windshield install in my '69 Bee..
Now Complete Restoration / Pulling my 1969 'Bee down for strip and paint

I used permetex windshield sealant and used it on the pinch weld to seal groove across the top n down each side and the lower corners stopping at the drain on each side then used 5/16 wide butyl tape across the center bottom between drains.
When I removed the original..it had bedding compound and the butyl tape across the bottom center. All I did was sub windshield sealant instead of bedding compound.
The original leaked since the 80's at the top passenger corner... I had to replace the passenger floor pan 15 years ago and from then on car cover and tarp for rain. Sucked... but not anymore! Rained for 2 days with no tarp... and no leaks.

Thanks gents. I didn't think to look in the FSM. I'll do so now.
Or just go to the link I gave you and follow my install. If you have helpers you can also slide the glass UP into the side and top of the rubber (vs setting the bottom in first) and then just work the bottom in.

Thanks gents. I didn't think to look in the FSM. I'll do so now.

Then compensate for tech advancements in sealer.

Do it however you like. If it leaks it's only your fault.:D
If you use butyl tape.. do not start at the top with slipping thebfmglass in..start at the bottom with the seal already lined up in the frame.

Or just go to the link I gave you and follow my install. If you have helpers you can also slide the glass UP into the side and top of the rubber (vs setting the bottom in first) and then just work the bottom in.

I just did. What a beautiful, thorough job.

I learned the hard way. After breaking two windows, I pay the Pros to do them for now on. It's been a while, but it only cost $100.00 at the time and they guarantee it for not leaking. Note: I did use old seals, maybe new ones would of worked better.

@RustyRatRod
" also put some sealant in the groove where the glass sits"

Damn right! Thanks Rob!

I didn't... after the 1st rain I thought I was good...then we had a REAL HARD RAIN and guess where it leaked.... lower corners between glass and seal!

Of all the places to leak ...it puddles there in the lower corners..seeps and puddles on the wide inside lips till it runith over and down the the firewall/ kick panel into the carpet.

I deduce the seals..well..they don't make them like they used to. Shallower looser groove..

No such thing as 'too much' sealent when doing these. So use sealer , not only in the pinch groove...but also in the windshield groove.

Last edited:
@RustyRatRod
" also put some sealant in the groove where the glass sits"

Damn right! Thanks Rob!

I didn't... after the 1st rain I thought I was good...then we had a REAL HARD RAIN and guess where it leaked.... lower corners between glass and seal!

Of all the places to leak ...it puddles there in the lower corners..seeps and puddles on the wide inside lips till it runith over and down the the firewall/ kick panel into the carpet.

I deduce the seals..well..they don't make them like they used to. Shallower looser groove..

No such thing as 'too much' sealent when doing these. So use sealer , not only in the pinch groove...but also in the windshield groove.

That's a shame. I've always dry installed auto glass and never had a leak on any restoration, though my cars are garage queens and have never been exposed to heavy or sustained rain. Nevertheless, I'm going to take your advice and use sealant all around.

I was told to use dish soap and water to install windows, so they slide in easy. I have bad luck at times. The window would slip out of my hands, I'm sure, so that is why as stated above, I pay the pros.

Just a tip, Rain-X makes the older slightly Pitted windows great to see through at night, crystal clear.

During the day you can still see the pits because of the light angle from the sun above, but still a big improvement.

Could hardly get over how clear it was at night, was thinking about replacing the windshield. But not now.

Cheers

Screenshot_20211225-190548_Gallery.jpg

Picture through the Rain-X windshield just yesterday. Nashville Country Western Downtown. 12-25-2021

Merry Christmas

☆☆☆☆☆

Last edited:
Just a tip, Rain-X makes the older slightly Pitted windows great to see through at night, crystal clear.

During the day you can still see the pits because of the light angle from the sun above, but still a big improvement.

Could hardly get over how clear it was at night, was thinking about replacing the windshield. But not now.

Cheers

View attachment 1715842548
Picture through the Rain-X windshield just yesterday. Nashville Country Western Downtown. 12-25-2021

Merry Christmas

☆☆☆☆☆
Good tip. Unfortunately, mine was fogged between the glass layers, and I'm replacing it with a pricey new piece.

Cheers

View attachment 1715842548

Merry Christmas

☆☆☆☆☆
Pearl Drops hide scratches, but once you wash the glass, you have to use more Pearl Drops.

-
Back