windshield moulding clips

-

caw440

Reaction score
I bought front and rear windshied moulding clips from penstar reproductions, the rears worked perfect , but the fronts will not allow the mouldings to reattach, has anyone else had this problem with these or anyone elses clips ? my window guy thinks it may be the screws that came with the kit , so I guess my questio is , are their companys that make the correct flat head screws that don't stick up as much ?

Did you get two sizes? The fronts should be rectangular (wide and short), the rears are nearly square. When I ordered clips for mine the seller sent me two sets of rears the first time.

Do you still have the old screws from the original clips to compare to the new ones or even to reuse? Try Ace Hardware to match if you do. They usually have everything no matter how unusual.

If I remember right the screws should be flush and not stick up any.They are beveled and the clip is beveled also.

The screws are included with the clips because they are special screws. They have a #8 screw shank and a smaller #6 screw head. Thay aren't identical to the OEM screws but should work.

thanks everyone, I have about 16 of the original screws , They are really close in size to the new ones that came with the clips ,but maybe just enough of a difference to cause this problem, so I will try the hardware store , I think thats going to be the only solution, thanks again for the info and ideas

Hey Robj , in your pisture of the clip, is this the way its installed? I mean are we looking at it like it would be in the channel ? or would it install the "thinner side up ? I'm just asking because I 've compared the new screws to the old again and I can't really see enough difference that would keep the moulding from clipping over , by the way mine are installed like you picture shows , thanks again

They do install as shown. The clips I purchased had slotted holes so the clip could move a little if needed.

Hey Robj , in your pisture of the clip, is this the way its installed? I mean are we looking at it like it would be in the channel ? or would it install the "thinner side up ? I'm just asking because I 've compared the new screws to the old again and I can't really see enough difference that would keep the moulding from clipping over , by the way mine are installed like you picture shows , thanks again

In Robj photo, the screw is pointing to the side of the clip that goes down. Hope that makes sense.

yeah that makes sense , and thats how mine are installed, I just wanted to make sure I didn't install upside down, thanks again,

heres an update for anyone that cares, my windshield guy called me today and said he talked to an old school installer who has a box of nos clips, he wants a $1.00 each, so I'm going to get them and hopefully this takes care of the problem , I'll keep you updated

-
Back